Spice in Focus: Baharat
What is Baharat Spice Mix?
Baharat (which means "spices" in Arabic) is a spice blend used in Middle Eastern (especially the Arabian Gulf region) and Greek cuisine.
Typical baharat ingredients include allspice, chili peppers, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, coriander, cumin, nutmeg, and peppercorns. The mixture is finely ground and is often used on fish, chicken, lamb, vegetables, and in soups and tajines. It's a lovely, all-purpose blend that has a little heat.
Baharat Spice Mix Recipe
Recipes Using Baharat Spice
- Baharat Chicken with Labneh from The Splendid Table
- Baharat Panko Crusted Albacore Tuna from Foodista
- Baharat Ramen Spice Mix from This Healthy Table
- Baharat Spiced Eggplant from Food52
- Baharat Spiced Beef Hummus from I Will Not Eat Oysters
- Lamb Baharat from Piquant Post
- Lebanese Chickpea Soup from Gourmandelle
- Turkish Chickpea and Potato Stew with Baharat from Herbivoracious