This nutritious chicken bulgur bowl with dried cranberries, arugula, pears, and wholegrain mustard dressing is a fabulous dinner recipe.
These bowls are super filling, because of the bulgur and full of great flavor from the greens, fruit, and chicken. One cool thing about bulgur is that it has fewer calories, less fat, and twice the fiber of brown rice (source).
These bowls make an excellent take-along-to-work lunch or a quick and easy weeknight meal.
The recipe is flexible, so feel free to sub in or out the greens, dried fruit (it would be great with currants as well), or the type of pear. Just keep the wholegrain mustard dressing, because it's the best.
Enjoy this delicious chicken bulgur bowl recipe!
- 1 cup uncooked bulgur
- 2 cups arugula
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 2 Bosc pears, cut into matchsticks
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- juice of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- pinch of salt & pepper
- Add the bulgur to 2.5 cups water in a saucepan over high heat.
- Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat and let simmer for 12 to 15 minutes, or until bulgur is cooked. Drain excess water.
- Meanwhile, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, and salt and pepper in a small bowl. Whisk briskly to combine.
- Once the bulgur is cooked, distribute chicken, bulgur, arugula, cranberries, and pears between four bowls.
- Add dressing and serve immediately. If saving in the refrigerator, store dressing separately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 396Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 109mgSodium: 461mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 6gSugar: 24gProtein: 33g