What's the Keto Diet & 10 Easy Keto Dinners
What's the Keto diet?
The keto diet, short for ketogenic, is a high fat, low carbohydrate eating plan. There are multiple types of ketogenic diets (source), but the typical breakdown of nutrients is 65-75% calories from fat, 15-30% calories from protein, and 5-10% of calories from carbohydrates (source).
The goal is for a drastic reduction in carbs that leads to a state of ketosis. Your body then starts to make ketones to fuel your cells, which burns fat. The keto diet has helped many people lose incredible amounts of weight and it's currently one of the most popular diets for people who want to lose weight but have enough energy to exercise as well.
This diet is especially good for people who love meat, full fat cheeses, and green vegetables. It's not a good diet for people who like legumes, fruit, and sweets.
What Can You Eat on the Keto Diet
- Meat - chicken, beef, pork, lamb, turkey, sausage
- Seafood - salmon, tuna, shrimp, lobster, crab, scallops, cod, catfish, snapper, mussels
- High Fat Dairy - cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, heavy cream
- Some Vegetables - artichoke, asparagus, avocado, bok choy, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, celery, cucumber, eggplants, fennel, green beans, kale, leek, lettuce, mushrooms, olives, onions, peppers, radish, snow peas, spinach, tomatoes, and zucchini. (for more information on which vegetables you can eat, visit this page).
- Most Fats & Oils - olive oil, coconut oil, butter, ghee, avocado oil, mayonnaise
- Nuts & Nut Butters - almonds, pecans, walnuts, pistachios, pine nuts
- Peanuts and Peanut Butter
- Spices and Herbs
- Berries - (sparingly) blueberries, raspberries, blackberries
- Artificial Sweeteners - (sparingly) Stevia and sucralose
- Some Alcohol - (sparingly)
- Unsweetened Coffee and Tea
What You Can't Eat on the Keto Diet
- Root Vegetables
- Grains & Starches (including all grain products)
- Legumes (besides peanuts)
- Sugar and other sweeteners
- Some alcohol - beer, cider, sweet wine, cocktails with sweeteners
- Juice and other Sweetened Beverages
- Low fat dairy
10 Easy Keto Dinners
- Healthy & Easy Beef Fajitas You Can Make in 15 Minutes
- Keto Beef Taquitos
- Thai Red Curry Turkey Meatballs
- Sheet Pan Salmon, Lentils, and Asparagus
- Ground Beef and Cabbage Stir Fry
- Herbed Chicken Breasts with Asparagus and Mustard Vinaigrette
- Sheet Pan Chicken, Potatoes, and Broccoli
- Easy Paleo Tuna Green Chili Zoodle Casserole
- Zucchini Shrimp Scampi
- Grilled Clams in Foil
If you’re looking for other great keto recipes, I recommend both of these cookbooks: Simply Keto: A Practical Approach to Health & Weight Loss and The Keto Diet: The Complete Guide to a High-Fat Diet.
Some of these may be affiliate links, thank you for support A Thousand Lights!
If you have a favorite keto recipes, please share it in the comments below!