This corn and leek fritter recipe is delicious and ready in 30 minutes! These fritters are a perfect breakfast or lunch recipe. They’re vegetarian and gluten-free.
This corn and leek fritter recipe was born out of furious scribblings in my ‘ideas’ notebook while I was on a plane watching a Jamie Oliver Superfood TV show. Jamie making corn fritters was truly inspiring. I was initially a bit skeptical – I was a bit worried that my excitement over making something from canned corn was just an altitude overreaction. Thankfully, it was merited – these little fritters are delicious. They’re surprisingly low calorie (no oil here!) and stuffed with veggies.
What Makes these Corn Fritters Great
Leeks are a good match with corn – they’re a great flavor pairing. There’s a lovely delicate charred corn flavor that mingles so nicely with the leeks, cottage cheese, and herbed yogurt. The minted yogurt really does elevate the dish! These fritters would be a wonderful brunch recipe as well.
How to Make Corn and Leek Fritters
These corn and leek fritters are easy to make – they are ready in 30 minutes.
- Make the mixture. Combine the leeks, corn, flour, egg, cottage cheese, and salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- Heat your pan. Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat.
- Make the patties. Form patties with about 3/4 cup worth of dough. Place 2 to 3 in the pan – do not overcrowd. Let cook for 2 minutes on one side.
- Cook the patties. Flip the fritters and press them down slightly to create more surface area to cook. Let cook for another 2 to 3 minutes – or until slightly charred. Cook all fritters.
- Make the yogurt dressing. Meanwhile, combine yogurt, mint, cilantro, and lime juice.
- Serve. Drizzle yogurt on top of fritters and serve while warm.
Tips for this Corn and Leek Fritter Recipe
- These fritters are also incredibly filling – the recipe makes 8 fritters, but I’d only recommend 2 to 3 per serving.
- These fritters keep in the fridge nicely (for up to three days), but they’re best when served piping hot, straight from the stovetop.
- For this recipe, I highly recommend using a Scanpan fry pan – I have one and I love it! If you don’t have a non-stick pan, just use a little olive oil or butter so the fritters don’t stick.
- 2 cups chopped leeks
- 1 (14 ounces) can corn, drained
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 16 ounces of cottage cheese
- pinch of salt & pepper
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped mint
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- juice of one lime
- Combine the leeks, corn, flour, egg, cottage cheese, and salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat.
- Form patties with about 3/4 cup worth of dough. Place 2 to 3 in the pan - do not overcrowd. Let cook for 2 minutes on one side.
- Flip the fritters and press them down slightly to create more surface area to cook. Let cook for another 2 to 3 minutes - or until slightly charred.
- Cook all fritters.
- Meanwhile, combine yogurt, mint, cilantro, and lime juice.
- Drizzle yogurt on top of fritters and serve while warm.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 377Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 69mgSodium: 499mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 2gSugar: 18gProtein: 22g