These dark chocolate covered citrus peels are an excellent holiday gift! Made from clementine and grapefruit peels, these delicious little treats are the perfect marriage of orange + chocolate.
Homemade Edible Holiday Gifts
These little treats package up nicely and can freeze as well. They are perfect gifts but remember they do cook down a bit, so if you need to give out lots of treats, you'll need to double or triple the recipe.
You're probably thinking, what am I going to do with all the leftover clementine flesh after I make these? Try our clementine almond bundt cake, of course!
We hope you enjoy these delicious chocolate covered citrus peels!
- 5 clementines
- 1 grapefruit
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 ounces dark chocolate
- Boil a large pot of water.
- Slice off the ends of the fruit and score a line down each piece of fruit from top to bottom.
- Gently remove each peel, keeping the peels whole.
- Cut the peels into thin strips, about ¼ inch.
- Add the peels to the boiling water and blanch for 30 seconds and then remove (keep the boiling water going) and rinse under cold water. Add to the water and blanch for another 30 seconds and then drain and run the peels under cold water.
- Add 1 ½ cups water and the cup of sugar to a medium saucepan over low heat. Add the peels and bring to a simmer. Cover and let simmer for one hour.
- Remove the peels from the sugar and let dry on a rack for ten to fifteen minutes or until slightly hardened.
- Meanwhile, melt the dark chocolate and get a large piece of parchment ready for the drying peels.
- Dip the peels in the chocolate and let dry till hardened.
- Save in an airtight container or in the freezer.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 304Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 7mgCarbohydrates: 60gFiber: 3gSugar: 53gProtein: 2g