Berbere is an Ethiopian spice blend that's often used in meat and vegetable stews. It's a warm blend that adds a spicy, rich undertone to dishes.
It's very versatile though and beyond using it as a marinade for meat or a base in a soup, it can be used as a topping for fruit or salads.
Recipes with Berbere Spice
Berbere can be used in a variety of ways. It's used in some wonderful Ethiopian dishes and in a surprising number of other ways. Here are a few of our favorite recipes using berbere.
- Berbere Lentils with a Poached Egg from The Cook Report
- Berbere Potato Bean Stew from Monkey & Me
- Berbere Roasted Kabocha Squash from Vegan Richa
- Berbere Spiced Chicken Recipe from This Healthy Table
- Spiced Ethiopian Chickpeas from Babganosh
- Sweet Potato Roast with Parsley Pesto from Diethood
Recipe for Berbere
While it's easy to make a berbere spice blend, it does require quite a few spices.
This is the blend we recommend; if you don't have one of the ingredients listed in smaller quantities you can substitute it for something else or leave it out. The paprika and chili are non-negotiable though!
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon ground fenugreek
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl and stir to combine.
- Store in an airtight container (preferably glass as it will stain plastic)
Where to Buy Berbere Spice
If you don't want to make your own berbere blend, you can purchase it online we recommend this Berbere blend from The Spice House.
If you'd prefer to buy it on Amazon, we recommend this blend from Frontier.