What is Baharat Spice Mix?
Baharat (which means "spices" in Arabic) is a spice blend used in Middle Eastern (especially the Arabian Gulf region) and Greek cuisine.
Typical baharat seasoning ingredients include allspice, chili peppers, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, coriander, cumin, nutmeg, and peppercorns.
The mixture is finely ground and is often used on fish, chicken, lamb, vegetables, and in soups and tajines. It's a lovely, all-purpose blend that has a little heat.
Baharat Spice Mix Recipe | How to Make Baharat
If you want to make your own baharat blend at home, you will need to combine pepper, nutmeg, paprika, coriander, cinnamon, cloves, cumin, salt, and cardamom.
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Combine all the ingredients and stir to combine.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 6 weeks.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
365 Everyday Value, Black Peppercorns
365 Everyday Value, Ground Nutmeg
365 Everyday Value, Organic Paprika
365 Everyday Value, Ground Coriander
Frontier Organic Vietnamese Cinnamon
365 Everyday Value, Ground Cloves
Frontier Cumin Seed Spice - Ground
Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt
Simply Organic Cardamom
Recipes Using Baharat
If you’re wondering what baharat is used for, check out these wonderful recipes!
Baharat blends are perfect for savory dishes and work very well with chicken, fish, beef and in soups and stews. It’s also very tasty on top of roast vegetables.
- Baharat Chicken with Labneh from The Splendid Table
- Baharat Panko Crusted Albacore Tuna from Foodista
- Baharat Ramen Spice Mix from This Healthy Table
- Baharat Spiced Eggplant from Food52
- Baharat Spiced Beef Hummus from I Will Not Eat Oysters
- Lamb Baharat from Piquant Post
- Lebanese Chickpea Soup from Gourmandelle
- Turkish Chickpea and Potato Stew with Baharat from Herbivoracious
Where to Buy Baharat?
We recommend this Baharat blend from The Spice House.
If you'd prefer to get it on Amazon, we also like this Baharat Spice Blend.
What can I use instead of Baharat?
Is baharat the same as Ras el Hanout?
Baharat is not the same as Ras el Hanout, but they are very similar spice blends. They both typically have some mix of coriander, cloves, cumin, paprika, and cardamom.
Ras el Hanout often has more ingredients and might contain chili, ginger, dried rose petals, red pepper flakes, and allspice as well.