This tangy, tasty chicken wing seasoning blend is easy to pull together and makes the best wings!
Use this chicken wing rub on up to 2 pounds of wings. You can easily double or triple the recipe if you need to make more. This will be your new favorite way to make wings.
This blend is perfect for game day wings with just a little bit of heat and loads of flavor!
Baking chicken wings with a dry rub is the easiest and best way to whip up a large batch of wings. They make perfect party wings or a great appetizer before a dinner party.
Here's what you'll need to make crispy chicken wings with the best dry rub seasoning blend. You can use this blend on whole chicken wings, drumettes, or flats. It's also good on chicken breasts!
- Ground Black Pepper
- Kosher Salt (or sea salt)
- Chili Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Ground Mustard
- Ground Cumin
- Smoked Paprika (regular paprika will work as well)
- Onion Powder
- Dried Basil
- Dried Oregano
- Dried Thyme
- Dried Rosemary
See the recipe card for quantities and full instructions.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Pat the chicken wings dry with paper towels to remove excess moisture.
In a large bowl, combine the chicken wings, olive oil, and lemon juice. Toss to coat the wings.
In a small bowl, combine the black pepper, salt, chili powder, garlic powder, ground mustard, cumin, smoked paprika, onion powder, dried basil, dried oregano, dried thyme, and dried rosemary. Stir to combine.
Sprinkle the seasoning mix over the chicken wings. Toss till coated.
Place the chicken wings on a wire rack on a baking sheet in a single layer. Line the baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper for easy cleanup.
Bake in a 400 degree oven for 40 to 45 minutes until the tips of the wings are crispy and the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer.
Once the wings are roasted to crispy perfection, serve them immediately with your favorite dipping sauce.
More Great Seasoning Blends
If you like to make your own seasoning blends, try some of our homemade favorites!
Substitutions & Variations
Want to make some changes to this spice rub? Here are some optional swaps to make.
- Heat - if you'd like a spicy chicken wing, I highly recommend adding ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper to this blend.
- Herbs - if you'd like to add more herbaceous flavor, you can add ½ teaspoon of dried dill or dried chives to the blend.
- Sweetness - if you'd like a little sweeter blend, you can add 2 teaspoons of brown sugar to the blend.
What to Serve with Wings
Every chicken wing recipe needs a good dipping sauce! Here are some of our favorite pairings.
- Chicken Wing Dipping Sauce
- Mustard Cottage Cheese Dip
- Blue Cheese Dressing
- Buffalo Sauce
- Healthy Ranch Dressing
You can store the seasoning blend for up to 6 months in a cool, dry place. Store in a Tupperware or spice jar.
The cooked wings will keep for up to 4 days in the refrigerator when stored in an airtight container.
Tips for Making this Recipe
Links on some posts are affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Ingredient Tips - Make sure the spices and herbs you use in this recipe aren't over 6 months to a year old. Spices degrade over time and will have less pungency after several months.
Recommended Tools - I highly recommend baking the wings on a rimmed sheet pan with a baking rack. This allows all sides of the wings to get crispy (and you don't have to flip them while baking!)
If you try this recipe, let us know! Connect with us on Instagram and share your photos or leave us a rating.
- 2 pounds of chicken wings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dried rosemary
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken wings, olive oil, and lemon juice. Toss to coat the wings.
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, ground mustard, cumin, smoked paprika, onion powder, dried basil, dried oregano, dried thyme, and dried rosemary. Stir to combine.
- Sprinkle the seasoning mix over the chicken wings. Toss till coated.
- Place the chicken wings on a wire rack on a baking sheet. Line the baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper for easy cleanup.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until the tips of the wings are crispy and the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F on an instant read thermometer.