If you love a delicious, warming bowl of chili, you need to know how to add lots of flavor to it. It's easy to do with some spices and spice blends.
You can make your own spice blends or purchase them pre-made. Here are some of the best spices for chili.
Links on some posts are affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
The Best Single Spices for Chili
These spices can be layered on top of each other or used on their own. These are essential spices to have in your pantry if you love making chili.
- Kosher Salt - salt makes food taste more like itself. It doesn't impart a separate flavor, but rather enhances food and brings out its natural flavoring. It's an essential component for any great recipe.
- Smoked Paprika - Paprika is made from ground sweet pepper pods, and while it has a deeper flavor, it's not spicy. It's great in hearty chilis.
- Cumin - Cumin has a deep, warm flavor with a hint of heat. It's a wonderful addition to a flavorful chili.
- Hot Chili Powder - These pure ground chilis add heat and flavor.
- Cayenne Pepper - Cayenne pepper is a spicier chili powder that adds some heat to chili.
- Fenugreek - Fenugreek has a sweet, nutty flavor that's common in Middle Eastern cuisine.
- Turmeric Powder - Turmeric is an essential ingredient in soups and curries across Asia and it adds a delicious mustard, ginger flavor to chili.
- Sichuan Peppercorns - Sichuan (or Szechuan) peppercorns are an aromatic spice from the Sichuan region of China. They have a lemony flavor.
Homemade Spice Blends for Chili
You can make your own delicious spice blends to use in chilis. These are some of our favorites.
- Ras el Hanout Spice - a deeply flavorful Middle Eastern spice blend with cumin, coriander, cinnamon, cardamom, and more.
- Fajita Seasoning - a zesty, Mexican-style blend that includes chili, cumin, paprika, and more.
- Baharat - a peppery Middle Eastern spice blend with pepper, nutmeg, paprika, and more.
Where to Purchase Spice Blends for Chili
These spice blends are ready to go and will add great flavor to your soup recipes.
- Chili Con Carne Blend - this earthy chili blend includes both chili powder and vegetable powders.
- Classic Cajun Seasoning - this delightful blend includes salt, paprika, celery, garlic, and onion for delicious flavor.
- Maharajah Curry - this blend combines saffron, cardamom, ginger, fenugreek, cumin, turmeric, coriander, and more for an aromatic and flavorful punch. It would be great in a curry stew, carrot soup, or potato soup.
Tell us your favorite spices for chili in the comments below.