Fenugreek is used as both a herb (dried leaves) and a spice (seeds). It’s used in many dishes from the Indian Subcontinent and is a key component of several spice blends – including sambar, panch phoron (Indian five spice), and berbere.
Although fenugreek is primarily grown in India, it’s used in cuisines around the world – including Egyptian, Georgian, Ethiopian, Eritrean, and Turkish. It’s also known for its purported health benefits, with many people swearing by a daily fenugreek tea.
Fenugreek is both sweet and bitter, and it’s often roasted in its whole form before blending to cut some of the bitterness. In powder form, fenugreek is especially aromatic. It pairs well with cumin, fennel, cardamom, and turmeric.
Recipes with Fenugreek
Fenugreek can be used in a variety of ways. Here are some of our favorite dishes with fenugreek.
- Red Lentil Dal – a wonderful, warming dish that combines lentils, onions, tomato, and spices commonly used in dal. We’ve added a can of coconut milk to this red dal recipe making for an extra creamy dish.
- Potato Subzi with Dried Fenugreek and Fennel – an easy recipe ready in half an hour. Serve this hot with curries or Daal soups, rotis or rice! Vegan and Gluten Free Recipe.
- Lentil Meatballs with Indian Fenugreek Sauce – vegan and gluten-free, these flavorful meatballs are served in a savory fenugreek coconut sauce.
- Indian Methi Chicken – an indulgent and fragrant Indian chicken recipe made using fresh methi leaves or dried kasuri methi (fenugreek leaves), yogurt and spices.
- Methi Gobi: Indian Cauliflower with Giner and Fenugreek – flavors perky enough to hold their own with a heavier and bold flavoring and light enough to be served with something light and simple like tofu.
Where to Buy Fenugreek
If you don’t want to make your own spice blend, you can purchase it online – we recommenFenugreek Whole Seeds or the Ground Seeds.
What’s a Substitute for Fenugreek?
If you don’t have access to fenugreek you could use mustard seeds, fennel seeds, or curry powder for a similar flavor.