Italian seasoning is a versatile herb blend that can be used to flavor Italian and other Mediterranean dishes. It's easy to make your own Italian seasoning blend at home.
An Italian seasoning blend is actually just a compilation of herbs that are often used in Italian cooking (like marjoram, basil, and oregano), however, it may not actually be a native Italian blend. It's possible that it originated in the US with Italian immigrants.
What is Italian seasoning made of?
Italian seasoning typically includes some mixture of dried oregano, dried basil, dried rosemary, dried thyme, dried marjoram, and dried thyme, and sometimes powdered garlic and red pepper flakes.
Recipes using Italian Seasoning
If you’re looking for inspiration for using Italian seasoning, we recommend these recipes! It works incredibly well in soups, as a rub on meat, or sprinkled across roasted vegetables.
- Italian Sheet Pan Chicken - a great easy and healthy dinner recipe. It’s baked on one pan in the oven.
- Caprese Portobello Mushroom Pizzas - a 20-minute vegetarian pizza stuffed portobello mushroom caps perfect for a weeknight meal.
- Creamy Tuscan Shrimp - this succulent shrimp is in a creamy and rich garlic Parmesan sauce with sun-dried tomatoes and spinach.
- Vegan Vegetable Barley Soup - this soup is loaded with vegetables like tomatoes, potatoes, spinach, corn, carrots, and green peas + perfectly cooked tender barley. This delicious recipe is easy to make, it’s high-fiber, oil-free, and ready to eat in less than 1 hour!
- Italian Stuffed Peppers - bell peppers that are stuffed with brown rice and ground turkey, Italian seasoning, melty mozzarella, and parmesan cheese.
- Farmer's Market Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup - this soup is bright and richly flavorful, and brimming with lots of savory, fresh veggies.
- Easy Homemade Pizza Sauce Recipe - the best homemade pizza sauce ever! It's ready in 5 minutes and made with only 9 ingredients.
Who makes the best Italian seasoning?
We recommend this Italian Herb Blend from The Spice House. This blend doesn't contain red pepper flakes, so be sure to add a few of those in to your dish as well, if you like non-spicy chili flavor.
If you'd prefer to get it on Amazon, we also like Frontier's Italian Seasoning Blend.
How long will Italian seasoning keep for?
This homemade Italian seasoning blend will keep for up to 3 months, if stored in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
What can I use instead of Italian seasoning?
If you don't have Italian seasoning, you can substitute it for oregano or Herbes de Provence.
How do you make Italian seasoning from scratch?
If you want to make your own Italian seasoning blend, you just need to combine some dried herbs and red pepper flakes for this easy recipe.
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- Combine all the ingredients and blend in a food processor or high-speed blender for 30 seconds or until the desired consistency is reached.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 3 months.
More Spice Blends to Try
- Chinese Five Spice - an aromatic blend that's equally delicious in savory and sweet dishes. Use it in our five spice banana bread.
- Berbere Spice - an Ethiopian spice blend often used in stews and on meat. Use it in our berbere spice chicken recipe.
- Hawaij Spice Blend - a Yemeni spice mixture that's used in baked goods, stirred into coffee, and as a rub for meat. Use it in our hawaij chicken recipe.