Hawaij spice (also known as Hawayej, Hawaj, and Hawayij) means "mixture" in Arabic. It's a spice blend with primarily cumin and black pepper and often contains cardamom, coriander, turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves.
There are two primary blends of hawaij - one for savory dishes and one used in coffee and desserts.
Hawaij is primarily used in Yemeni and Israeli cuisine.
The savory mixture is often used in soups, curry dishes, and rubs on meat.
The mixture for coffee and desserts can be used in cakes and other baked goods. Examples of recipes using hawaij can be found below.
Recipes Using Hawaij Spice
Hawaij is such an interesting spice blend because it can be used in both savory and sweet dishes. If you’re looking for a creative way to use hawaij, check out these excellent recipes:
- Carrot Cake with Hawaij and Tahini Caramel Frosting from My Name is Yeh
- Cozy Apple Spice Baked Oatmeal with Maple Cream & Hawaij from The First Mess
- Hawaij Fish Sandwich from I Will Not Eat Oysters
- Hawaij Gingerbread Men from My Little Larder
- Hawaij Hot Chocolate from Turntable Kitchen
- Hawaij roasted carrots with mung beans and preserved lemon yoghurt from Arthur Street Kitchen
- Hawaij Spatchcock Chicken from Madeline Hall
- Hawaij Spice Cauliflower Bites from Thyme to Mango
- Hawaij Spiced Rye Banana Bread from Food52
- Hawaij Vegetable Soup from Madeline Hall
- Hawaij Chicken and Rice from This Healthy Table
Where to Buy Hawaij
You can buy this Hawaij Spice Blend online from Amazon.
Alternatives for Hawaij
- 1/4 cup cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup whole black peppercorns
- 3 tablespoons turmeric
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon green cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- Heat a small frying pan over low heat.
- Combine all the spices in the pan and stir to combine. Let toast for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Grind the toasted spices in a spice mill or with a mortar and pestle.
- Save in an airtight container for up to a month.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.