Fajita seasoning is a zesty, Mexican-style rub for tacos, fajitas, and more. You can make your fajita spice blend at home with just a few simple spices.
Fajita seasoning can be used as a marinade for steak and chicken, sprinkled on grilled veggies, in shrimp tacos, and in quesadillas.
What is fajita seasoning made of?
Fajita seasoning typically includes a mix of chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne. It might also include oregano, salt, and sugar.
How do you make fajita seasoning from scratch?
If you want to make your own fajita seasoning blend, you only need to use a few spices and then blend or pulse them to combine.
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano*
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Combine all the ingredients and blend in a food processor or blender for 30 seconds or until ingredients are combined in a powder form.
*Why use Mexican oregano? Mexican oregano is grassier and more floral while Mediterranean oregano has an anise flavor. Just check the bottle at the store, most grocery stores sell both. If you can't find Mexican oregano, no problem, Mediterranean will work too!
Recipes using Fajita Seasoning
If you’re looking for recipes that use fajita seasoning, we recommend these dishes. It obviously works well on meat, but it's also great in soups, enchiladas, and more.
- Mexican Stuffed Peppers - These stuffed peppers are a healthy, colorful, and comforting dinner that you can make in just 30 minutes.
- Grilled Shrimp Tacos with Chipotle Sauce - Savory and spicy grilled shrimp tacos with chipotle sauce served with lettuce, tomato, diced avocados, red onions, and fresh-squeezed lime juice!
- Chickpea Fajitas - Vegan chickpea fajitas with mushrooms, onions, and bell peppers.
- Sheet Pan Steak Fajita Wraps - Made with bell peppers, red onions, and homemade fajita seasoning. Serve them with lettuce wraps and some avocado and you’ve got yourself a healthy, low carb dinner in under 20 minutes!
- Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas - You only need a few pantry staple ingredients and a few mins of hand on time to make these family favorite Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas.
Who makes the best fajita seasoning?
We recommend this fajita seasoning blend from The Spice House if you don't want to make your own blend.
How long will fajita seasoning keep for?
This homemade fajita seasoning blend will keep for up to 3 months if stored in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
What can I use instead of fajita seasoning?
If you don't have fajita seasoning, you can substitute it for taco seasoning, a chili powder blend, or even cajun seasoning.
Fajita Seasoning Marinade
To make a marinade from fajita seasoning, combine 2 tablespoons fajita seasoning with ¼ cup olive oil and 1 tablespoon lime juice. Whisk till fully combined.