This delicious ground turkey chili is the best! It's got two types of beans - cannellini and kidney, as well as onions, garlic, and lots of spices.
It's a wonderfully flavorful and healthy chili recipe that's sure to be a family favorite.
It takes some time to simmer and develop its flavor, but it doesn't require much hands-on time.
Why You'll Love this Turkey Chili
What's not to love about a hearty bowl of chili? This one hits all the high flavor points you want in a chili - lots of richness from the aromatics and turkey, a little heat and bright notes from the spices, and texture and creaminess from the beans.
Ground turkey is easy to cook with and browns beautifully. It adds great flavor to this dish and is lower in saturated fat than ground beef.
We love cooking with ground turkey - check out some of our favorite healthy ground turkey recipes that we frequently make.
What You'll Need to Make This Recipe
Turkey - You'll need 1 pound of ground turkey for this recipe. We used lean ground turkey, but you can use whatever kind you'd like.
Aromatics - You'll need 1 small yellow onion and 3 cloves of garlic.
Beans - You'll need 1 (14-ounce) can on kidney beans and 1 (14-ounce) can of cannellini beans.
Tomato Sauce - You'll need 1 (14-ounce) can of tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes.
Stock - You'll need 2 cups of chicken stock. You can substitute vegetable stock as well.
Spices - You'll need 3 teaspoons of kosher salt, 1 1/2 teaspoons of cumin, 1 teaspoon of dried oregano, 1 teaspoon of chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne.
Toppings for Chili
You can certainly serve this chili on its own, but if you're looking to jazz it up with some toppings, here are a few of our favorites.
- Diced avocado
- Sliced jalapeno peppers
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Tortilla chips or strips
- A dollop of sour cream
- Chopped cilantro
More Delicious Chili Recipes to Try
Love a warm bowl of chili? We do too! Check out some of our other favorite chili recipes.
- Chicken Chili with Black Beans - a tasty chicken chili recipe with beer and black beans that's perfect for a weeknight meal.
- Slow Cooker Brisket Chili - a tender, slow-cooked chili recipe with lots of fresh peppers.
- Slow Cooker Turkey Pumpkin Chili - a delicious, fall chili recipe made with a whole can of pumpkin puree.
- Black Bean Chili Recipe - an easy and tasty black bean chili.
Tips for Making this Recipe
Links on some posts are affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recommended Tools - I like cooking this dish in a dutch oven, but any large heavy-bottomed pot will work.
Storing Tips - This recipe will keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. I think it's even better on the 2nd day - something about sitting in the refrigerator overnight really brings the flavors together! You can reheat it on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Alternate Cooking Methods - You can make this recipe in the slow cooker, but you need to brown the onions and beef before adding everything to the slow cooker and cooking on low for 6 hours.
A Note on Spiciness - If you are making this recipe for kids or anyone who doesn't like spicy food, feel free to omit the cayenne and reduce the amount of chili powder. I find this chili lightly spicy, but some friends I've served it to found it spicier than I did.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Connect with us on Instagram and share your photos or leave us a rating.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 teaspoons of kosher salt, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne
- 1 pound of ground turkey
- 2 cups of chicken stock
- 1 (14-ounce) can on kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14-ounce) can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14-ounce) can of tomato sauce
- Heat the oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Once it's hot, add the diced onion and sauté for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the minced garlic and allow it to cook for 30 seconds. Then add half the salt, the cumin, oregano, chili powder, and cayenne. Stir and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the ground turkey to the pot and break it up with the back of a spoon. Allow it to cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until browned.
- Add the chicken stock, kidney beans, cannellini beans, and tomato sauce to the pot. Increase the heat and bring to a low boil.
- Cover and allow to simmer for 30 minutes. Then remove the lid and stir. Allow the chili to simmer for another 20 minutes until reduced.
- Serve immediately or save in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 383Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 83mgSodium: 1171mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 7gSugar: 4gProtein: 30g