This slow cooker brisket chili recipe is full of wonderful spices! It’s also easy to make and perfect for those days when you just want to come home to a warm bowl of food.
It’s great on its own, but there are plenty of optional toppings that go with it – including avocado or guacamole – which are my favorites!
Why You’ll Love This Slow Cooker Brisket Chili
This brisket chili is like a warm hug. It’s rich, well-spiced, and very flavorful.
Making it in a slow cooker means you can get it going in the morning and enjoy a wonderful dinner. Cooking it for 6 to 8 hours makes the brisket incredibly tender.
I usually use a mix of colorful bell peppers, but this chili is also great with other sweet peppers as well. Just make sure you use larger ones or several small ones – you want at least three cups of diced peppers.
Where to Get Humanely Raised Beef
I used to eat mostly vegetarian food and have been more strict about it at certain points in my life. I prefer eating less meat for a few reasons – the majority of factory farming practices are horrifyingly cruel to animals and the meat industry is a huge contributor to greenhouse gases.
If you’re like me and want to understand where your food comes from and how you can be part of an ethical, sustainable food chain, I’d really recommend checking out Butcher Box. I get all my meat from them, once-a-month, in a box delivered right to my door.
In case you are in the market for a new slow cooker, I use and really recommend this All-Clad Slow Cooker. This one is only 4-quart, but they make them larger as well!
I really hope you enjoy this slow cooker brisket chili recipe!
- 2 pounds brisket
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 red or orange bell peppers, diced
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and finely diced
- 2 (14.5 ounces) cans diced tomatoes
- 400 milliliters beef stock
- optional: cilantro, avocado, guacamole
- Using a large knife, score both sides of the brisket in a crosshatch pattern.
- Combine the cinnamon, paprika, oregano, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Rub the spice mixture into the brisket, making sure to get it in the scored pits.
- Heat a large frying pan over high heat and melt the butter in it.
- When the pan is very hot, add the brisket and cook each side for 1 to 2 minutes, or until browned and slightly charred.
- Add the brisket to the slow cooker and top with all the remaining ingredients.
- Stir to combine ingredients and set the slow cooker for 6 to 8 hours on low or 3 to 4 hours on high.
- Once cooked, remove the brisket from the slow cooker and using two forks, pull the beef apart.
- Remove the bay leaves.
- Return the meat to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Top with optional ingredients and serve, or keep in a refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 620Total Fat: 38gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 170mgSodium: 653mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 8gSugar: 11gProtein: 48g