This deliciously fresh and easy blueberry cake recipe is perfect to make with summer berries!
It requires very little hands-on time and is absolutely studded with fresh blueberries for a juicy and moist cake.
You'll love the flavors and textures of this simple yet flavorful cake!
Why You'll Love This Blueberry Snack Cake
This blueberry snack cake is the perfect easy dessert to serve with afternoon tea or alongside brunch.
It's got two full cups of fresh blueberries making it juicy and delicious. Summer berries are the best, but you can use frozen berries as well!
This cake isn't overly sweet, but it's got enough sugar to be tasty.
Ingredients You'll Need
You'll need the following items to make this cake recipe.
Butter - You'll use 6 tablespoons of room-temperature butter for this recipe. Don't melt the butter (it will be too runny), but do allow it to soften on the counter before using it.
Sugar - You'll use 1 cup of granulated or cane sugar for this recipe. Reserve a small amount to sprinkle on top to make the berries that much sweeter or use an additional 2 teaspoons.
Egg - You'll use 1 large egg for this recipe. It acts as a binding agent, keeping all the ingredients sticking together.
Milk - You'll need 1/2 cup of milk for this recipe. I used skim milk, but you can use any type you'd like.
Vanilla - You'll need 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract for this recipe. Don't use imitation vanilla, if possible, the real stuff tastes better and is worth it!
Flour - You'll need 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour for this recipe. You can also use cake flour if you'd like, but it's not necessary.
Baking Soda - You'll use 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking soda. It acts as a leavening agent and will help the cake to rise. Make sure your baking soda isn't over a year old or it will lose its potency.
Salt - You'll need 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt for this recipe.
Blueberries - You'll use 2 cups of fresh blueberries for this cake. You can use frozen if blueberries are out of season, just let them warm up before adding them to the cake.
More Fresh Blueberry Recipes
Love blueberries? We do too! Check out some of our other favorite recipes using blueberries.
Rhubarb Blueberry Galette - This delightful rustic fruit galette is a perfect mashup of summer fruit.
Blueberry Baked Oats - An easy and tasty breakfast recipe that just happens to be vegan as well.
Blueberry Blackberry Galette - A gorgeous summer berries galette that's easy to make.
Tips for Making this Recipe
Links on some posts are affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Cooking Tips - Make sure to check the cake with a wooden skewer or cake tester before removing it from the oven. The cake will be lightly golden on the edges and the skewer should come out without any crumbs.
Specialty Ingredients - You can butter your cake pan with butter or use a baking spray. I use the spray because it's so quick!
Recommended Tools - I use a simple aluminum 9-inch cake pan. It's cheap and incredibly useful!
Storing Tips - You can save this recipe in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Connect with us on Instagram and share your photos or leave us a rating.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 1 cup granulated or cane sugar (plus 2 teaspoons for topping)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat the butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed for 3 minutes or until pale and fluffy.
- Add the egg, milk, and vanilla to the bowl and mix till combined.
- Stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl till combined. Then add half the dry mixture into the wet mixture. Stir till flour is incorporated. Add the remaining dry mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour the batter into a greased 9-inch cake pan and spread till you have an even layer.
- Sprinkle the blueberries on top in a single layer. Sprinkle optional additional 2 teaspoons of sugar on top.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 350, then reduce the heat and bake for 55 to 65 minutes at 325 degrees F.
- Test the cake with a wooden skewer or cake tester to see if the center is fully baked.
- Let cool in the pan for at least 10 minutes before removing and cutting.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 398Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 63mgSodium: 252mgCarbohydrates: 66gFiber: 2gSugar: 38gProtein: 5g