This flat iron steak with basil aioli is a delicious weeknight meal, ready in about 25 minutes.
This recipe can serve two if you're only having the steak and sauce, but it will serve four if you serve it with a few sides or a nice, large salad.
This aioli is rich and creamy deliciousness - and it's easy to make! Please see the note below on consuming raw eggs, before you make this recipe.
What Makes this Steak Recipe Great
The pairing of the flank steak and the aioli is a delightful mix of flavors. It’s ready in just 25 minutes and it’s very easy to prepare.
It makes for a great weekend meal, but it’s also elegant enough to serve at a dinner party. You can pair this dish with a veggie side or salad like this shaved zucchini salad, this shredded Brussels sprouts and kale salad, or this tomato and artichoke salad.
Ideal Temperature and Cook Time for Flat Iron Steak
Flat iron steak is very versatile, but it tastes best cooked to medium-rare or 135 F (on an instant-read thermometer).
Flat iron steak is great for grilling as it can be cooked quickly and is usually a consistent thickness. A pound of flat iron steak can be cooked in 8 to 10 minutes.
How to Prep Flat Iron Steak
Flat iron steak should be cooked three to five days after you purchase it.
Keep it wrapped while it’s in the refrigerator, but pull it out and unwrap it about 30 minutes to an hour before you grill it.
Allow it to come to room temperature on the counter and sprinkle it with some kosher salt.
What is Flat Iron Steak?
Flat iron steak is also called top blade steak, top blade filet, and shoulder top blade steak.
It’s a cut from the shoulder of the cow - it’s usually very tender and flavorful. It’s a great steak to combine with marinades and sauces.
Tips for this Recipe
- You can make this recipe on an outdoor grill or on a grill pan on your stovetop. This is the grill pan I recommend. If you’d like a less expensive version, I think this one is quite good. For our outdoor grill, we have a Napoleon Rogue 425, we love it!
- This recipe can be made with any kind of steak you'd like - I just found some wonderful flat iron steak. This would work with flat steaks like flank or skirt just as easily!
- I hope you enjoy this easy dinner recipe! I think you'll find it incredibly satisfying! Please let me know if you make it, you can connect with me on Instagram or Facebook.
- Please note - consuming raw eggs may increase the risk of foodborne illnesses. Children, pregnant women, and the elderly should not consume raw eggs.
- 1 lb. flat iron steak
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- Heat grill (or grill pan) to high heat.
- Place steak on the grill and cook for 5 minutes. Flip the steak and cook for an additional 5 minutes or until steak is 155 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer.
- Meanwhile, whisk egg yolk, garlic, salt, and 2 teaspoons of water in a small bowl.
- Continue to whisk the egg mixture and very slowly drizzle in the grapeseed oil, while continuing to whisk.
- Very slowly add the olive oil to the egg mixture, continue to whisk until the consistency is quite thick.
- Add the lemon juice, black pepper, and basil leaves and stir to combine. Set aside until meat is done cooking.
- Once the meat has cooked, let it rest for 5 minutes (preferably tented under aluminum foil), then slice into strips. Top with the aioli and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 526Total Fat: 44gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 31gCholesterol: 187mgSodium: 241mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 31g