This delicious ful medames recipe (also called foul mudammas and foule mudammes) is filling, comforting, rich, and delicious.
Ful medames is a fabulous dish of fava beans, onions, and spices that are simmered until tender and then blended.
Serve it with warm, toasty pita bread and cut veggies for a delicious meal.
What is Ful Medames?
Ful medames is a staple, comfort food served across the Middle East and North Africa (especially in Egypt) often eaten for breakfast. It's a blend of fava beans, onion, garlic, oil, and cumin.
Multiple countries, and even some cities, have their own versions of ful. Sometimes a heavier spice mixture with turmeric, cardamom, and ginger is added and some folks serve it with lemon juice and fresh mint.
This recipe is a standard Egyptian take on ful, but can be added to in a number of ways.
Ful Medames Ingredients
For this recipe, you'll need two cans of fava beans, some garlic, a red onion, water, olive oil, cumin, and salt.
You'll also want some garnish and something to serve it with. Ful can be topped with toasted nuts, parsley, tomatoes, mint, or a dollop of hummus.
We like to serve toasted pita and cut cucumbers with it, to dip in it.
How to Make this Delicious Recipe
- Prep the ingredients - chop your onion and garlic and drain and rinse the beans.
- Sauté - cook the onion, then garlic, and heat the spices.
- Simmer - add the beans and water and bring to a low boil, then reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes.
- Blend - blitz the mixture with a blender, immersion blender, or food processor until it's mostly broken down but still slightly chunky.
- Serve - top with herbs, more olive oil, additional salt, and any other desired toppings.
More Middle Eastern Recipes You'll Love
If you like eating Arabic food or love Mediterranean flavors, here are some other recipes we think you'll like.
- Chopped Middle Eastern Salad - a fresh and bright chopped vegetable salad that's an easy side dish or light lunch.
- Shakshouka Recipe - a tomato and poached egg dish that is brunch goals.
- Muhammara (Syrian Red Pepper Dip) - a lightly spicy red pepper and walnut dip that is a family favorite.
- Dukkah Spice Mix - an awesome spice and chopped nut blend that can be used as a topping for dips, salads, and avocado toast.
Tips for Making this Recipe
Using dried fava beans - if you have dried fava beans and would like to use them. Soak one cup of dried beans overnight, drain them, and use them
Slow cooker version - if you'd prefer to make this recipe in a slow cooker, simply add all the ingredients and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours and then blend/blitz the mixture.
Storage - this recipe will keep in the refrigerator for up to four days.
More topping ideas - this recipe is also delicious with several squeezes of fresh lemon juice or a handful of crumbly feta cheese.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans fava beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Optional - cherry tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, pita bread
- Heat a large pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and once it's hot add the onion. Sauté the onion for 7 to 8 minutes or until it starts to brown and caramelize. Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add the cumin, salt, and pepper to the pot and stir for 30 seconds until the spices are fragrant.
- Add the fava beans and water, increase the heat and bring to a low boil, then reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and allow to cool slightly before blending the bean mixture with a blender, immersion blender, or food processor until it's mostly broken down but still slightly chunky.
- Serve with optional fresh herbs, a sprinkling of sea salt, more olive oil, or other desired toppings like cut cherry tomatoes or feta cheese. Toast some pita bread for dipping.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 123Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 668mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 4g