If you are lucky enough to get your hands on some ramps, you've got to try this ramp omelet. It serves two and is full of ramp deliciousness.
It's a simple recipe with eggs, feta, and ramps, but it's a perfect breakfast or brunch for two.
Why You'll Love this Omelet Recipe
Cheese and eggs are always a good idea, but this omelet is really special because it highlights one of springtime's most delicious vegetables - the delicate ramp.
Ramps, also called wild leeks or ramsons, have are alliums with a flavor milder than onions, but stronger than leeks. They also have undertones of garlic.
Ramps show up in early spring and impart great flavor to any dish that calls for a green onion. You can forage for them or purchase them at a farmer's market or some specialty grocery stores.
Ingredients for a Ramp & Feta Omelet
For this recipe, you'll need 5 eggs, a ⅓ cup of crumbled feta cheese, some butter, and a half teaspoon of kosher salt, and a quarter teaspoon of ground black pepper. You'll also need 4 ramps or ½ cup chopped ramps.
If you want to forage your own ramps, here's a guide to sustainably harvesting them. Because of the popularity of ramps they've become over-harvested in the wild and unless you leave the roots in the ground they won't grow back. The ones I purchase were cultivated and sold by a farmer (hence why they have roots). If you harvest them wild, cut them off above the roots so they'll grow back next year!
More Breakfast Recipes to Try
Love a good breakfast or brunch recipe? Try some of our other favorites.
- Spring Omelette Recipe - ribboned asparagus, chive blossoms, and goat cheese combine for the ultimate spring omelet.
- Arugula and Asparagus Breakfast Bowl - a green bowl with a poached egg.
- Healthy Breakfast Pizza - eggs on pizza can't be beat.
Tips for Making this Recipe
Cooking Tips - If your eggs are burning or cooking too quickly on the bottom but not on the top, turn down the heat.
Recommended Tools - We recommend cooking this in a nonstick skillet. It's much easier to scoop and flip half the omelet over.
Storing Tips - This recipe is best served immediately, but if you'd like to save some for later, it will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Connect with us on Instagram and share your photos or leave us a rating.
This ramp omelet is a springtime treat.
- 5 eggs
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta
- 5 ramps, diced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Crack the eggs into a mixing bowl and beat.
- Add the feta, ramps, salt, and pepper to the eggs and beat till combined.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat until it's bubbling.
- Pour the eggs into the pan and cook for 4 to 6 minutes or until the omelet can be folded in half. Fold one side of the omelet across the other and allow to cook for 30 seconds.
- Remove the omelet from the pan and cut it in half. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 296Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 502mgSodium: 765mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 19g