This delicious spring mix salad recipe is so easy to pull together! It's a great side salad and pairs well with most main courses.
You'll make a delicious homemade salad dressing, with a few simple ingredients, to top this fresh side salad.
This simple salad is going to be one you keep on repeat!
This easy salad is great for a weeknight meal (it's quick to make) or a dinner party (it looks beautiful in a serving dish)!
There are lots of possible substitutions you can make to it -- see the substitutions section below, meaning it's versatile for what you have on hand.
Spring salad mix is easy to find in most grocery stores and usually comes pre-washed, so it's a great time saver.
Here's what you'll need to make this simple spring mix salad.
- Spring Mix Salad Greens
- Red Onion or Shallot
- Cherry Tomatoes or Grape Tomatoes
- Feta Cheese
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Red Wine Vinegar
- Dijon Mustard
- Kosher Salt
- Ground Black Pepper
See the recipe card for quantities.
If the red onion slices are strong smelling or you teared up while cutting the onion, soak the slices in cold water with a few ice cubes for 5 minutes. Drain before using.
Combine the spring salad mix, sliced onions, halved tomatoes, half the feta cheese, and half the walnuts in a large mixing bowl. Toss to combine.
In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, red wine vinegar, dijon mustard, salt, and black pepper.
Whisk till the dressing has emulsified and is thick.
Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
Place the salad serving bowl.
Top with the remaining feta cheese and chopped walnuts.
More Great Salad Recipes
Love a side salad? Try some of our other favorites healthy salads!
- Orange Fennel Salad Recipe - this fantastic fruit salad with fennel is perfect for the colder months.
- Heirloom Tomato Salad Recipe - a fresh and bright salad with tomatoes, peaches, fresh herbs, and mozzarella cheese.
- Green Goddess Cabbage Salad - this chopped salad is full of fresh ingredients and makes a great side dish or light lunch.
Substitutions & Variations
Need to make some swaps or want to try other ingredients? Here are some substitutions you can make.
- Vinegar - the red wine vinegar can be substituted for balsamic vinegar, white wine vinegar, or lemon juice.
- Nuts - the walnuts can be swapped for pumpkin seeds (pepitas), sunflower seeds, toasted pine nuts, or chopped pecans.
- Cheese - the crumbled feta can be swapped for creamy goat cheese, blue cheese, or crumbled asiago.
- Greens - you can swap the spring mix for an equal mix of baby spinach and baby arugula, or another tender baby lettuce.
- Optional Add-Ons - you can add the following to this salad if you want extra flavor - chopped fresh avocado, fresh herbs like chopped basil or parsley, or sliced green onions. You can also add fresh vegetables like chopped asparagus or cucumbers.
This salad is best served fresh, but it will keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator when stored in an airtight container.
If you want to make it ahead of time or use it for meal prep, store the dressing separately and dress immediately before serving. This will keep the tender baby greens from wilting.
Tips for Making this Recipe
Links on some posts are affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recommended Tools - I like using a large metal mixing bowl and tongs to combine my salad ingredients.
Diet/Allergy Alternatives - want to make this recipe vegan? Swap the feta cheese for some additional nuts or some chopped baby cucumbers.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Connect with us on Instagram and share your photos or leave us a rating.
Spring Mix Salad
This flavorful spring mix salad recipe is the perfect side salad! Easy to pull together and full of great ingredients, it's one to make on repeat.
- 5 ounces Spring Mix Salad
- ½ medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup crumbly feta cheese
- ⅓ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- If the red onion slices are strong smelling or you teared up while cutting the onion, soak the slices in cold water with a few ice cubes for 5 minutes. Drain before using.
- Combine the Spring Mix salad greens, sliced onions, halved tomatoes, half the feta cheese, and half the walnuts in a large mixing bowl. Toss to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, red wine vinegar, dijon mustard, salt, and black pepper. Whisk till the dressing has emulsified and is thick.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
- Place the salad in a serving bowl and top with the remaining feta cheese and chopped walnuts.
- Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 206Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 380mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 2gSugar: 7gProtein: 5g