These baked stuffed squash blossoms are a delightful treat! They are creamy, tangy, and wonderfully floral – a perfect way to enjoy summer’s edible flower bounty.
I bought the squash blossoms at the farmer’s market last weekend and mulled over what I wanted to do with them for several days.
For regular farmer’s market shoppers or people with gardens, squash blossoms might not seem very exciting. But I was beyond thrilled to find them. For several years, I’ve seen gorgeous recipes (vegan squash blossoms, squash blossom soup, and shaved squash salad) that I’ve wanted to try.
Baking Squash Blossoms
In the great what-to-do-with-the-squash-blossom-debate, I knew I wanted to do a squash blossom recipe that was not fried, I wanted to keep the recipe simple, and I wanted to bake them gently so they retained their gorgeous color. So I settled on a simple mixture of goat’s cheese and wholegrain mustard to stuff the blossoms.
It takes a little prep work to get the blossoms ready to use – the stamen needs to be cut out and the inside rinsed of pollen. If you’re interested in other tips on choosing or working with edible flowers, I did a guide that can be found here.
This recipe would work well with other large, edible flowers – like nasturtiums, daylily, or gladiolus. I hope you get a chance to try this recipe – if you do, let me know in the comments below.
Enjoy this simple recipe for baked stuffed squash blossoms!
- 12 squash blossoms
- 4 ounces of goat's cheese
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon flaky sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 C).
- Make a slit in each squash blossom and cut out the stamen. Rinse the squash blossoms and lay them on a paper towel to dry.
- Combine the goat's cheese and mustard in a small bowl.
- Stuff each blossom with about a tablespoon and a half of the cheese and mustard. Then brush with olive oil and sprinkle salt on top.
- Place the blossoms on parchment paper on a baking sheet and bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until browned.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 154Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 471mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 4gSugar: 9gProtein: 7g