This quick and easy kimchi recipe is going to be one of your favorites! It only takes a few minutes to make it (plus a few days for it to ferment).
You can whip up a really simple, delicious (and oh-so-spicy) kimchi recipe in just a few steps. It does take a few (very hands-off) hours to days, though.
Before we go further, I want to let you know that I'm not trying to dispense any junk science about probiotics and gut health.
There's A LOT of information out there on probiotics and the importance of gut health, but what I've primarily read from trustworthy sources is that fermented foods might be helpful in restoring gut bacteria, diversity of probiotic-rich foods (yogurts, fermented foods, fruit, etc) is key, and not all probiotics ingested will make it to our gut (more studies are needed).
I think most of us know about the importance of gut bacteria and how it can affect so many intestinal issues. It might also affect mood as well - here's an interesting read from the NY Times on the topic.
There are two other articles I'd recommend reading if you're interested in this topic --
- I had the bacteria in my gut analysed. And this may be the future of medicine from The Guardian
- Is fermented food a recipe for good gut health from the BBC
Enjoy this easy kimchi recipe!
- 2 pounds radishes, cut in half or quarters
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 10 scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup Gochugaru (chili flakes)
- 3 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons ponzu or fish sauce
- 1-inch ginger, finely chopped
- Combine the radishes, salt, and sugar in a large bowl and let sit for at least 1, and up to 3, hours.
- Add the scallions, gochugaru, garlic, ponzu, and ginger to the radishes and mix.
- Divide kimchi between to glass jars.
- Eat immediately or let sit on the counter for two days to ferment.
- Kimchi can be kept for up to two months in the fridge.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 31Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1505mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 1g