This recipe for Roasted Harissa Chicken and Potatoes is wonderfully delicious and full of flavors.
Baked on a sheet pan, it's an easy recipe to pull together. While it does take some time to roast, it's largely hands-off time.
Why You’ll Love this Sheet Pan Dinner
If you like lightly spicy and flavorful meals, you are going to love this sheet pan chicken and potatoes.
Harissa is a spicy red pepper dip from North Africa. It usually has garlic, caraway seeds, cumin, coriander, and olive oil - making for a richly flavorful paste. It's fabulous on chicken and makes a great marinade for this dish.
After roasting the chicken, potatoes, and tomatoes, you'll top them with a herby garlic yogurt sauce that's sharp and bright. It livens up the dish and mutes any overly spicy bits.
Ingredients for Harissa Chicken
Here's what you'll need to make this chicken thighs recipe.
- Chicken - For this recipe, we used 2 pounds of chicken thighs (bone-in, skin-on) for maximum flavor. If you prefer chicken breasts you can absolutely use those instead.
- Marinade - You'll use ¼ cup of harissa paste to marinate the chicken
- Vegetables & Alliums - you'll need a pound of small potatoes (or if you have large potatoes, use a pound, but quarter them), 1 cup of cherry tomatoes, 3 shallots, and a whole head of garlic (this will go in the sauce).
- Seasoning - you'll need olive oil, kosher salt, and black pepper.
- Sauce - to make the sauce, you'll use ⅓ cup plain yogurt, ½ cup chopped parsley, ¼ cup chopped dill, and a tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice.
How to Make This Recipe
This recipe takes some time to roast, but it it requires very little hands-on time. Here's how to make it.
- Marinate the chicken - Combine the chicken and harissa. Toss to coat the chicken and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Prep the vegetables - Chop and prep your vegetables. Prick all the potatoes with a fork. Toss shallots, potatoes, and tomatoes with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Bake - Place the chicken, shallots, potatoes, tomatoes, and head of garlic on a sheet pan and bake for 35 minutes at 425 F.
- Make the sauce - Combine the yogurt, parsley, dill, lemon juice, and roasted garlic. Blitz in a blender till sauce is creamy and garlic has broken down.
- Serve - Drizzle the sauce across the chicken, potatoes, and tomatoes.
More North African Recipes to Try
If you like the rich flavors of North African food, try some of our other favorite recipes from the region.
- Moroccan Chicken with Preserved Lemon - the flavors of tajine made in a dutch oven
- Roasted Eggplant and Shrimp with Harissa - another delicious sheet pan meal with harissa
- Shakshouka Recipe - a hearty brunch recipe of baked eggs and tomatoes
- Ras el Hanout Recipe - an all-purpose Middle Eastern and North African spice blend that's great in soups or on chicken.
Tips for This Recipe
Cooking Tips - Lining your baking sheet with parchment ensures the chicken won't stick to the pan, and it makes cleanup easier!
Specialty Ingredients - For this recipe we used our own homemade harissa. The type of peppers used in harissa determines how spicy it is - test your brand of harissa before using it to see how spicy it is. If it's too hot for you, use a little less and add a tablespoon of olive oil to it. If it's not hot enough for you, use another ¼ cup of it to marinate the chicken.
Storing Tips - This recipe will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can reheat it in the oven or microwave, but store the sauce separately or it will dry out.
Roasted Harissa Chicken
An easy sheet pan meal of roasted harissa chicken, potatoes, and tomatoes, drizzled with a herby yogurt sauce.
- 2 pounds chicken thighs
- ¼ cup harissa
- 1 pound small potatoes
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 3 shallots, peeled and quartered
- 1 head of garlic, top sliced off
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup plain yogurt
- ½ cup roughly chopped parsley
- ¼ cup roughly chopped dill
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Combine the chicken and the harissa. Use your hands or a spoon to toss the chicken so it is coated in harissa. Set it aside to marinate for at least 10 minutes.
- Prick each of the potatoes at least three times. Place the potatoes, tomatoes, shallots, and head of garlic on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Toss them with olive oil, 2 teaspoons of kosher salt, and pepper. Spread them out across the baking sheet.
- Nestle the chicken onto the baking sheet and place it in the oven. Bake for 35 minutes or until the chicken is golden brown and has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer.
- Place the yogurt, 1 teaspoon of kosher salt, chopped parsley, chopped dill, and lemon juice in a blender. Squeeze the roasted garlic cloves out of their skin and add them to the blender. Blitz the yogurt sauce until the herbs and garlic have broken down and blended (about 30 seconds to 1 minute).
- Drizzle the yogurt sauce across the chicken, potatoes, and tomatoes. Serve on the sheet pan or in a serving bowl.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 543Total Fat: 26gTrans Fat: 0gSodium: 805mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 6gSugar: 4gProtein: 46g
Have you connected with me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook?