Pumpkin and squash seeds are a delicious snack when toasted! If you are cooking or carving pumpkins or squash and wondering what to do with the seeds, we've got you covered.
We'll show you how to toast the seeds, use them in recipes, and answer common pumpkin seed questions.
Roasted Pumpkin Seeds & Squash Seeds
It's super easy to make your own roasted pumpkin seeds. The only time consuming part is separating the seeds from the pumpkin/squash flesh.
- Freshly scooped squash or pumpkin seeds
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Sea Salt
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees D.
- Clean the seeds with your hands by separating them from any pumpkin or squash flesh.
- Put the seeds in bowl of water and rub them to separate any remaining stringy bits. This doesn't have to be perfect, so don't worry if some bits still stick on.
- Dry the seeds with a paper towel.
- Place the seeds on a parchment-lined baking sheet and drizzle them with a small amount of olive oil (about 1 teaspoon for every 3/4 cup of seeds)
- Spread the seeds out on the baking sheet and sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Recipes with Squash Seeds
If you’re looking for recipes that use squash seeds, we recommend these dishes. They work well as a topping and in baked goods.
- Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal - top this seasonal oatmeal recipe with pepitas for full fall flavor.
- Hearty Seed Bread - hearty vegan keto bread made entirely of seeds. Free of gluten, grains, nuts, dairy, eggs, soy and sugar. Full of fiber, phytonutrients and healthy fat.
- Pumpkin Energy Bites - made with oats, pumpkin, almond butter, maple syrup, and pumpkin seeds. Naturally sweet, super healthy!
- Roasted Butternut Squash Salad with Caramelized Pumpkin Seeds - tender butternut squash with slightly sweet - toasty pumpkin seeds overtop this delicious salad.
What is the difference between pepitas and pumpkin seeds?
Pepitas and pumpkin seeds are a different thing, but they are often used interchangeably. Pumpkin seeds have a white hull around them and pepitas are a hull-less, green seed from a specific variety of pumpkin (Oilseed pumpkin).
Are pumpkin seeds good for you?
Pumpkin seeds are good for you - they are a good source of antioxidants, zinc, and fatty acids. They're considered a heart healthy food and eating a couple handfuls of seeds a week is healthy.
Can squash seeds be roasted?
Yes, squash seeds can be roasted! In fact, squash seeds can often more tender and tasty than pumpkin seeds.