If you like veggie soups, you've got to try these recipes. These are tried and true vegetarian soup recipe that are hearty and healthy.
How to add flavor to soup?
There are several great ways to add more flavor to a veggie soup. You can do one (or more) of the following:
- If you're starting with onions, cook them for longer so they caramelize. Caramelized onions have a deeper, richer flavor.
- Add ginger in addition to garlic for an extra kick!
- Use a herb or spice blend. Check out our post on spices to use in vegetable soups.
- Consider using a chipotle chili in adobo to add some spice and smoky heat.
- After cooking, add a squeeze of lemon or a teaspoon of vinegar. Acid will perk up a dish.
- Add salt during the cooking process and at the end. When you're cooking your veggies or after you've added stock, add salt. Then taste your soup before serving to see if it needs more salt. We like adding kosher salt to soup.
The Best Pot for Cooking Soup
We love cooking soup in an enameled cast iron dutch oven. Enameled cast iron has great heat retention and provides even cooking. It's perfect for slower cooking food (like soup).
How to Make Blended Soups
Blending soup gives it a unique texture and can be done one of two ways - blending the full soup or blending a partial amount.
Fully blending a soup, either with a high-speed blender or an immersion blender provides a smooth texture and is great for things like tomato or carrot soup. Blending a portion of the soup, which will require removing an amount and using a blender, gives a soup an interesting texture and can be delicious for bean soups.
What are your favorite recipes for vegetarian soups? Let us know in the comments below.