This roasted red cabbage is a gorgeous side dish recipe!
It's our favorite way to eat red cabbage as roasting it really brings out the flavor but also adds some great crispy edges.
You're probably very familiar with the taste of raw cabbage it's often in coleslaw or recipes like our fish taco slaw. But roasting cabbage wedges on high heat brings out the sweetness in a way that you'll really love!
Why You’ll Love Roasted Red Cabbage
Cabbage is an incredibly healthy food - it's low in calories, high in vitamins, and is an antioxidant powerhouse (source).
This cabbage recipe not only tastes great but it's also naturally vegan and gluten-free. You can use any herb seasoning blend you like, but we find Italian seasoning to be an excellent flavor accompaniment.
For more red cabbage recipes - check out this list.
It doesn't take much to make this easy recipe - just a few simple ingredients.
- Red Cabbage - also called purple cabbage, you'll use a whole cabbage. It's low carb and high in vitamin C, vitamin B, and vitamin K. It's purple color stays vibrant even after roasting.
- Olive oil - you don't need to use extra-virgin olive oil for this, any olive oil or other vegetable oil will work. Substitutions include avocado oil, canola oil, or grapeseed oil.
- Italian Seasoning - make your own homemade Italian seasoning blend or use a storebought blend.
- Salt - you'll use a little sea salt to bring out the full flavor of the cabbage.
Here's how to make this great side dish!
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Cut the base off of the cabbage and then halve it. Slice the cabbage into half-moons, about ½ inch thick slices.
Place the cabbage flat on a parchment paper lined baking sheet in a single layer. Use two sheet trays if the cabbage won't fit onto one. Brush each cabbage slice with oil and sprinkle with salt and then Italian seasoning.
Bake the cabbage for 25 to 30 minutes or until some of the edges are toasted.
Serve the cabbage as a side dish or add it to grain bowls.
Substitutions & Variations
Want to make some changes? Here are some optional swaps you can make
- Spices - if you want a little more flavor, add ½ teaspoon of garlic powder and ¼ teaspoon onion powder to the cabbage before it goes into the oven.
- Fresh Herbs - after the cabbage comes out of the oven, sprinkle with chopped parsley or chopped fresh chives.
- Cheese - remove the cabbage from the oven after 20 minutes and sprinkle with parmesan cheese, bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes. Or sprinkle on a little goat cheese after the cabbage comes out of the oven.
- Vinegar - top the roasted cabbage with some balsamic glaze or balsamic vinegar.
What to Serve with Red Cabbage
This easy side dish pairs well with all sorts of main courses - here are some of our favorites.
- Oven-Baked Italian Sausage - these roasted sausages cook at the same temperature as the cabbage. Make them at the same time for an easy dinner!
- Grilled Flank Steak - this richly flavorful grilled steak is great when paired with cabbage and potatoes.
- Grilled Juicy Pork Chops - the classic combo of pork chops and cabbage can't be beaten.
- Grilled BBQ Chicken Thighs Recipe - these juicy chicken thighs are easy to make and pair well with cabbage
Roasted cabbage will keep for up to 4 days in the refrigerator when stored in an airtight container.
Tips for Making this Recipe
Links on some posts are affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Cooking Tips - Using a sheet of parchment or a Silpat will make this recipe a cinch to clean up and it keeps the cabbage from sticking to the baking sheet. If you get a Silpat, you can use it for so many kinds of vegetable recipes.
Specialty Ingredients -
Recommended Tools - I suggest using a rimmed baking sheet for this recipe - it keeps any herbs or oil from spilling into your oven.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Connect with us on Instagram and share your photos or leave us a rating.
- 1 head of red cabbage
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut the base off of the cabbage and then halve it.
- Slice the cabbage into half-moons, about ½ inch thick.
- Place the cabbage flat on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Then drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with the sea salt and then Italian seasoning.
- Bake the cabbage for 25 to 30 minutes or until some of the edges are toasted.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 53Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 214mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 2g