These crispy smashed Brussels sprouts are baked to perfection. They're a delicious side dish that's fun to make and goes great with pasta or grilled chicken.
Why You Should Make these Brussels Sprouts
These crispy smashed Brussels sprouts are a total treat! They're topped with parmesan, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper. They're ready in about 30 minutes and are totally worth it!
Smashing the sprouts makes for a really special flavor, because it allows for more surface area for roasting.
How to Choose the Best Brussels Sprouts
Brussels sprouts are available year round, but are at their best from September to February. The best Brussels sprouts will be firm, a bright green, and free from any blemishes.
You should throw out Brussels sprouts that are squishy, slimy, bruised, or that have an acrid smell.
We suggest removing the outer leaves of your Brussels sprouts and trimming the woody ends to get a great sprout.
What to Serve with Brussels Sprouts
These crispy veggies are a wonderful side dish for lots of meals! Here's what we love to serve them alongside.
More Side Dish Recipes You’ll Love
If you love a tasty side dish, try some of our other favorite recipe. If you like Brussels sprouts, try our roasted Brussels sprouts recipe as well!
Tips for Making this Recipe
- Bake the Brussels sprouts on a sheet of parchment paper on your baking sheet. It will help the sprouts bot stick to the sheet pan and will make it easier to clean up!
- This recipe calls for 1 pound of Brussels sprouts - you will need to half sheet pans or one very large sheet pan to make them. You can easily half this recipe as well.
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or olive oil
- 1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Heat a large pot of salted water (at least 6 cups water) over high heat. Bring to a boil.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, wash the Brussels sprouts, trim them, and remove outer leaves.
- Boil the Brussels sprouts for 5 minutes (for small and medium sprouts) and 7 minutes (for large sprouts). Drain in a strainer.
- Lay the Brussels sprouts across two half sheet pans with parchment paper (or one large sheet pan). Use a heavy glass or mug to smash each of the Brussels sprouts.
- Toss the Brussels sprouts with the oil, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Then sprinkle with the parmesan cheese.
- Bake the Brussels sprouts for 15 minutes or until crispy and golden.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 160Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 665mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 5g