These baked togarashi fries are deliciously flavored and crispy! You’ve got to try them. They’re easy to make and don’t require much hands-on time.
Why You Should Make these Togarashi Fries
These crispy fries are a total treat! Topped with shichimi togarashi, they are flavorful, citrusy, and peppery. They’re ready in about 45 minutes, most of which is hands-off time. You’ll love the umami flavor.
What is Togarashi?
Shichimi Togarashi or Japanese 7 Spice blend is a peppery Japanese spice blend, typically made from a mix of chili peppers, orange peel, sesame seeds, ginger, and nori.
It was originally made by Japanese merchants in the 17th century. Schichi means “seven” in Japanese and togarashi means “peppers”.
It tastes citrusy and peppery and has a little spicy kick.
The Best Potatoes for Crispy Fries
Russet potatoes are the best potato for making fries because they have a high amount of starch and less water, making for a denser, crispier fry.
What to Serve with Fries
Fries deserve a delicious dipping sauce. You can always serve them with mayo or ketchup, but here are some of our favorite sauces for fries.
- Basil Aioli – herby and delicious with a rich basil flavor.
- Avocado Sauce – creamy, delicious, and versatile – it can be used in all sorts of ways as a topping or a dip.
More Side Dish Recipes You’ll Love
If you love a tasty side dish, try some of our other favorite recipe.
- Easy Roasted Beets
- Grilled Baby Bok Choy
- Whole Roasted Cauliflower with Chimichurri
- Grilled Zucchini with Yogurt
Tips for Making this Recipe
- The fries will get extra crispy if you cook them on a sheet pan with a rack. It helps all parts of the fry get baked.
- If you don’t have a sheet pan with a rack, you can sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- You can make your own togarashi blend or purchase the togarashi blend from the Spice House.
- 3 russet potatoes, peeled
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon shichimi togarashi seasoning
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Cut the ends off the potatoes and then cut them into matchsticks.
- Toss the potatoes with the oil, half the togarashi seasoning, and the salt.
- Bake the fries on a sheet pan with a rack (or a parchment-lined sheet) for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve the fries immediately with a side of spicy mayo or other condiments.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 188Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1687mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 3gSugar: 1gProtein: 3g