Roasting Brussels sprouts brings out all their flavor! This great, easy side dish of roasted Brussels sprouts is always a hit, whether you're serving it a holiday meal or a weeknight dinner.
We'll show you how to roast Brussels sprouts, how to pick the best sprouts, and give you tips on what to pair them with for even more flavor.
Why You Should Make Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Perhaps you grew up with boiled Brussels sprouts and have sworn off them. If that's the case, give them one more chance with this recipe!
Allowing the Brussels sprouts to slow roast in the oven helps their flavor shine, while also creating crispy crunchy bits on them that make them a delight to eat.
They're easy to prep and although they take some time to roast, this is largely a hands-off recipe.
How to Choose the Best Brussels Sprouts
If you want to get the best Brussels sprouts, buy them when they're at their peak from September to mid-February.
When selecting your Brussels sprouts, choose sprouts that have a darker green color and no obvious discoloration like yellow or black spots. The leaves should be tight and the sprouts should feel firm.
If the Brussels sprouts are wet and squishy - avoid them. Or if they have a pungent, acrid smell, they'd probably gone bad.
If you love Brussels sprouts, be sure to check out our shredded Brussels sprouts salad as well.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts Ingredients
For this recipe you'll need 1 ½ to 2 pounds of Brussels sprouts, a tablespoon of olive oil and 2 teaspoons of kosher salt.
How to Make these Brussels Sprouts
To make this delicious side dish, you'll need to.
- Prep the Brussels Sprouts. Wash the Brussels sprouts. Remove any damaged leaves, trim the base, and halve the sprouts.
- Add the seasoning. Toss the sprouts with the olive oil and the salt. Lay them flat across a sheet pan.
- Roast. Roast the sprouts in the oven for 35 minutes at 400 degrees F.
- Add any toppings. Add optional toppings like cheese, pomegranate seeds, chopped nuts, or crunchy onions. Serve and enjoy.
More Veggie Side Dish Recipes You’ll Love
If you love a vegetable side dish, you’ll enjoy these recipes as well!
- Roasted Red Cabbage - a super easy veggie side
- Grilled Baby Bok Choy - grilling bok choy brings out all the flavor
- Roasted Acorn Squash - topped with Chinese five spice for awesome flavor
- Smashed Brussels Sprouts - crispy sprouts topped with parmesan
Tips for these Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Add some fun toppings to these sprouts - we love to add fresh pomegranate seeds, goat cheese, shredded parmesan, dukkah spice blend, chopped pistachios, balsamic reduction, or crispy onions to our Brussels sprouts. Get creative and add whatever topping you'd like!
- Line your baking sheet - don't skip lining your baking sheet with parchment or a Silpat. It makes cleanup much easier and it keeps the sprouts from sticking to the pan.
- Using frozen sprouts - you can use frozen Brussels sprouts for this recipe, BUT you need to thaw them completely, pat them dry, and add a few more minutes to the cooking time to get them really crispy. When possible, try to use fresh sprouts.
- Storing - this dish will keep in the refrigerator for up to three days, in an airtight container.
- Reheating - If possible, don't use a microwave to reheat these Brussels sprouts. They tend to get soggy. Reheat them in the oven at 350 degrees for 3 to 5 minutes.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts
These roasted Brussels sprouts make an excellent, easy side dish.
- 1 ½ to 2 pounds Brussels sprouts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash Brussels sprouts. Remove any outer leaves that are damaged and trimming the base and halve each sprout.
- Toss the sprouts with the olive oil and salt.
- Lay sprouts flat on a parchment or Silpat-lined baking sheet.
- Bake Brussels sprouts for 35 minutes or until the edges are crisped.
- Serve with optional toppings as desired. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 61Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 729mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 3g