This shredded Brussels sprouts salad with kale and apples is quick and easy to make! It’s full of crunchy bits (apple and toasted walnuts) and savory bits (olive oil massage kale and shredded parmesan).
It’s a wonderful green salad that makes an excellent side dish!
What You’ll Need to Make a Brussels Sprout Salad
To make this recipe, you’ll need a full head of kale, a handful of Brussels sprouts, some good parmesan cheese, olive oil, walnuts, apples (we suggest Honeycrisp, but any crunchy apple will do!), and salt and pepper.
How to Make a Brussels Sprouts and Kale Salad
- Shred, Slice, & Chop. Prep all the ingredients for the recipe (kale, Brussels sprouts, apples, walnuts, and parmesan).
- Massage the leaves. Combine the kale and Brussels sprouts in a large salad bowl and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Massage until the leaves become soft.
- Brown the nuts. Toast the walnuts in a small frying pan over medium-high heat for 3 minutes or until crispy and browned.
- Combine all the ingredients. Add the apples, walnuts, and cheese to the salad.
- Make the vinaigrette & dress the salad. Combine the lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and salt and pepper. Whisk briskly to combine. Drizzle dressing across the salad and toss to combine.
Best Holiday Dinner Recipes
This Brussels sprouts salad is one of our favorite dishes to serve at Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner. Here are some of the other classics that we love to make for the holidays:
- Roasted Squash and Grapes – a wonderful vegetarian side dish that has amazing flavor.
- Rose Apple Tart – the prettiest dessert (seriously!)
- Fennel Gratin – tasty and comforting, this fennel gratin is a fabulous side dish.
- Pomegranate Dark Chocolate Bites – the easiest dessert to make!
- Roasted Acorn Squash – a flavorful, healthy, and super easy side dish.
And, of course, if you have any leftover turkey, I’d recommend any of these easy recipes for leftover turkey.
Tips for this Brussels Sprouts Salad
- I recommend using Honeycrisp apples for this recipe. They are crisp and have a nice balanced sweet and acidic flavor. However, any crisp apple will work for this recipe!
- The key to the apples is getting them thin enough that they don’t overwhelm the salad – definitely use a mandoline to cut them. You can a mandoline to shred the Brussels sprouts as well!
- Here’s the mandoline I used to make this salad (mine is red, but I like the black one as well)!
- I also have these cut protection gloves because I slashed my fingers one too many times on the mandoline, so these gloves have been awesome!
- If you are taking this salad to a holiday dinner, you can massage the leaves up to two hours before the event, but don’t add the apples till the last minute (they’ll brown – even if they still taste good).
- If you want to make this recipe vegan just leave out the parmesan.
- 1 bunch kale, thinly sliced
- 2 cups shredded Brussels sprouts
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 Honeycrisp apples, thinly sliced (1/8" on mandoline)
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup shaved parmesan
- juice of 1 lemon
- pinch of kosher salt & freshly ground pepper
- Combine the kale and Brussels sprouts in a large salad bowl and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Massage until the leaves become soft.
- Toast the walnuts in a small frying pan over medium-high heat for 3 minutes or until crispy and browned.
- Add the apples, walnuts, and cheese to the salad.
- Combine the lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and salt and pepper. Whisk briskly to combine.
- Drizzle dressing across the salad and toss to combine.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 222Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 183mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 4gSugar: 8gProtein: 6g