This delicious oven roasted root vegetables recipe is a fantastic, healthy side dish!
This great recipe is perfect for the fall and winter months when root vegetables are plentiful. It's the best root vegetables recipe for bringing out the natural sugars and flavors of each veggie.
You'll love how easy it is to make this delicious side dish. It also keeps well in the refrigerator, making it an excellent meal prep recipe.
For this recipe, I used red beets, parsnips, and carrots - but there are a plethora of root vegetables that can be used in this recipe. Feel free to mix and match to try your favorite flavors.
This side dish is a wonderful addition to a holiday meal or just a regular weeknight dinner. You can also roast the vegetables and add them to a grain bowl or salad.
I find root vegetable roast best when the oven temperature is 400 or above (here's my guide on roasting vegetables). I think they're especially delicious and get a nice crispy exterior and tender interior when they're roasted on high heat (at 425 degrees F).
Here's what you'll need to make this perfect side dish.
- Root Vegetables (carrots, sweet potatoes, red potatoes, turnips, parsnips, beets, onions, red onion, yellow onion, celery root, or radishes)
- Olive Oil (doesn't need to be extra virgin olive oil)
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Dried Thyme
- Dried Rosemary
- Dried Basil
- Dried Oregano
- Kosher Salt
- Ground Black Pepper
- Optional - fresh herbs for topping (dill, oregano, parsley, or thyme)
See the recipe card for quantities.
Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
Peel the root vegetables or scrub them thoroughly.
Chop each type of vegetable into bite-size pieces. Try to keep the sizes uniform across each type of vegetable. This will ensure even tenderness.
Place all the chopped vegetables in a large bowl.
Toss with olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, dried thyme, dried basil, dried oregano, salt, and pepper till each piece is thoroughly coated.
Place vegetables on a large parchment or aluminum foil lined sheet pan or large roasting pan in a single layer.
Roast in the oven for at least 30 minutes, till fork tender. If your vegetable pieces are larger, it may take 40-50 minutes in the oven till they are tender.
More Great Veggie Sides
For more easy recipes and delicious veggie side dishes, try some of these favorites.
- Roasted Golden Beets - tender and flavorful golden beets roasted to perfection.
- Smashed Brussels Sprouts - a great way to enjoy Brussels sprouts with crispy edges and parmesan cheese.
- Roasted Purple Cauliflower - a flavorful and beautiful side dish with plenty of seasonings.
- Honey Roasted Baby Carrots - a wonderful honey butter sauce coats these tender baby carrots.
Substitutions & Variations
Want to make some substitutions? These ingredients can be swapped out.
- Oil - you can use any other type of high smoke point oil (instead of olive oil), like vegetable oil, avocado oil, or grapeseed oil.
- Spices - want to add a little heat to your veggies? Try adding a half teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes or cayenne.
Oven-roasted root vegetables will keep for up to 4 days in the refrigerator when stored in an airtight container.
They are best served warm or at room temperature, so either re-crisp them in the oven to reheat them or microwave them for 2 to 3 minutes before serving.
Tips for Making this Recipe
Links on some posts are affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Cooking Tips - Cooking time may vary depending on the size of your vegetables. They will take at least 30 minutes till they are fork tender but may take up to 50 minutes. Test them before removing them from the oven.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Connect with us on Instagram and share your photos or leave us a rating.
- 3 pounds of root vegetables (carrots, sweet potatoes, turnips, parsnips, beets, onions, or celery root)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Peel the root vegetables or scrub them thoroughly.
- Chop vegetables into bite-size pieces. Keep the sizes uniform across each type of vegetable.
- Place all the chopped vegetables in a large bowl.
- Toss with olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, dried thyme, dried basil, dried oregano, salt, and pepper till each piece is thoroughly coated.
- Place vegetables on a large parchment or aluminum foil-lined sheet pan or large roasting pan in a single layer.
- Roast in the oven for at least 30 minutes, till fork tender. If your vegetable pieces are larger, it may take 40-50 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 247Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 187mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 8gSugar: 15gProtein: 5g