This refreshing sparkling Americano drink is going to be your new favorite!
A basic sparkling Americano is just espresso served with fizzy water, but I'll show you how to elevate it with just a few simple flavors.
You can use any citrus fruit you'd like (orange peels are a common addition), but I love it with grapefruit. Something about the bitter flavor of the grapefruit and espresso pairs so well with the sweetness of the tonic water.
It's perfect for hot days when you want a refreshing iced coffee recipe.
Why You Should Try a Sparkling Americano
If you'd love a morning or mid-afternoon coffee, but want something more refreshing during the hot days or summer - then you've got to try this drink.
This is a new style of coffee that originated less than 10 years ago - first with as a coffee tonic and then later as a sparkling Americano when citrus was added.
I absolutely love an iced coffee or a latte, so when I saw this drink going viral on TikTok, I knew I needed to try it.
If you've ever had an Americano cocktail (Campari, sweet vermouth, club soda, and lemon), you'll be familiar with the flavor combination. This coffee drink has the same flavor combination of bitter, sweet, and citrus.
An Americano coffee is a shot of espresso combined with hot water or ice (just about the simplest drink there is), but this recipe isn't much more difficult!
You don't need much to make this fun recipe!
- Tonic Water or Soda Water (Club Soda)
- Slices of Grapefruit (or another type of citrus -
See the recipe card for quantities.
Combine the mint leaves, grapefruit juice, and ice cubes in a large glass.
Pour in the tonic water or sparkling water.
Pour in the espresso shot. Then add additional mint leaves and a slice of grapefruit to the rim of the glass for garnish.
Stir if desired and serve immediately.
More Fun Drink Recipes
If you like this refreshing drink, try some of our favorites!
- How to Make Turkish Coffee - if you like strong coffee drinks, you've got to try this one! It's the perfect combination of sweet and bitter.
- Creamy Lemonade - a fantastic summer drink for
- Whipped Dalgona Coffee - Fluffy and deliciously whipped in no time, make your morning coffee extra special.
- Freddo cappuccino - Also called Greek cappuccino or a Greek coffee with cold milk foam. It’s a strong iced coffee that you’ll definitely want to taste!
Substitutions & Variations
Want to try some other variations? Here are some flavor combinations we love!
- Citrus - swap out the grapefruit for an orange slice, peels, or fresh orange juice. You can also use lemon or lime!
- Herbs - if you'd like a savory flavor, swap the mint for rosemary.
- Florals - you can add rose water or orange blossom water to this drink as well. Serve it with edible flower ice cubes for a beautiful touch.
- Sweetener - add blueberry compote for a fruity flavor or some honey to offset the bitterness.
- Cold Brew - use cold brew coffee in place of the espresso if you prefer it.
I don't recommend keeping a sparkling Americano for any period of time. It's meant to be made and served immediately, as it will lose its fizziness over time.
Tips for Making this Recipe
Links on some posts are affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Specialty Ingredients - You can use any kind of coffee you'd like for this recipe, but if you are looking for a great local coffee shop to purchase from, these are the coffee beans I love - Flying Squirrel from Backlot Coffee.
Recommended Tools - I like making my own espresso by grinding whole beans (with a burr grinder) at home and then using an Aeropress.
You can make your own carbonated water with a soda stream.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Connect with us on Instagram and share your photos or leave us a rating.
This delicious refreshing coffee drink - a sparkling Americano - is easy to make and tastes great!
- 5 mint leaves
- 2 slices of grapefruit
- ice cubes
- 8 ounces of club soda or tonic water
- 1 shot of espresso
- Add several of the mint leaves to a large glass. Squeeze the juice from one of the grapefruit slices into the glass. Top with ice.
- Pour in the fizzy water.
- Pour in the shot of espresso.
- Top with remaining mint and grapefruit slice.
- Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 41Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 25mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 2g