This Tinto de Verano recipe is a delicious drink that's easy to make!
This Spanish drink, which translated means 'red wine of summer', is a casual wine cocktail drink that's perfect for sipping on a warm summer day.
It's similar to sangria in that it's made with wine and fruit, but it typically combines red wine with lemon soda.
Tinto de Verano is a well-balanced and flavorful drink that combines the rich and complex flavors of red wine with the bright and citrusy notes of sliced oranges and lemons.
The addition of lemonade provides a sweet and tangy flavor that balances out the bitterness of the wine and enhances the fruitiness of the citrus.
Overall, Tinto de Verano is a refreshing and fruity drink that's perfect for hot summer days. It offers a combination of flavors that's both complex and easy to drink, making it an ideal choice for any occasion.
Here's what you'll need to make this delicious summer wine drink.
- Red wine: You can use any type of red wine you like for this recipe. However, it's best to use a wine that you enjoy drinking on its own. A medium-bodied, dry wine works well for Tinto de Verano.
- Oranges and lemon: These fruits add a citrusy flavor and aroma to the drink. Make sure to wash and slice the fruit before adding it to the pitcher.
- Lemonade: Lemonade provides a sweet and tangy flavor that balances out the bitterness of the red wine. You can use homemade or store-bought lemonade for this recipe.
- Ice cubes: Adding ice cubes to the pitcher helps to chill the drink and dilute the alcohol content, making it more refreshing and drinkable.
See the recipe card for quantities.
Add the bottle of red wine to a large pitcher.
Pour the lemonade into the pitcher.
Add the sliced oranges and lemon to the pitcher. Stir to combine.
Add ice cubes to the pitcher to chill the mixture. Stir again.
Pour the Tinto de Verano into glasses filled with ice.
Garnish the glasses with optional rosemary sprigs or a lemon slice.
More Great Cocktail Recipes
Try some of our other favorite drinks!
Substitutions & Variations
Here are some optional substitution ideas.
- Lemonade - you can swap the lemonade for a sparkling lemon drink like lemon-lime soda, 7up, Sprite, or lemon Fanta. In Spain, refresco de limón is usually used - in the US this is most similar to 7Up or if you can find it - Lemon Crush.
- Vermouth - sweet vermouth is sometimes added to this drink. If you'd like to try it, I'd suggest adding a few ounces.
- Fruit - you can add other fruits or herbs such as strawberries, mint, or basil to create your own unique version of this drink.
Tinto de Verano is best served fresh and immediately after it's made.
It can be kept in a large pitcher with a lid in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. If you use a fizzy lemon drink it will lose some of its carbonation.
Tips for Making this Recipe
Ingredient Tips - for best results, choose a red wine for this recipe that you enjoy drinking, since it's the main ingredient, but that isn't too expensive. I recommend using a Pinot Noir.
Recommended Tools - for this recipe you'll need a large pitcher, cutting board, sharp knife, and a wooden spoon (or other long mixing spoon).
If you try this recipe, let us know! Connect with us on Instagram and share your photos or leave us a rating.
- 1 bottle of red wine (750 ml)
- 1 cup of lemonade (about 240 ml)
- 1 navel orange, sliced into rounds
- 1 blood orange, sliced into rounds*
- 1 lemon, sliced into rounds
- Ice cubes
- Optional Garnish - fresh rosemary (or other herbs), sliced citrus
- Add the bottle of red wine to a large pitcher.
- Pour the lemonade into the pitcher.
- Add the sliced oranges and lemon to the pitcher. Stir to combine.
- Add ice cubes to the pitcher to chill the mixture. Stir again.
- Pour the Tinto de Verano into glasses filled with ice.
- Garnish the glasses with optional rosemary sprigs or slices of citrus.
*You can substitute the blood orange for another navel orange or another type of orange (like Cara Cara)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 149Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 8mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 9gProtein: 1g