This sunset whiskey sour recipe is for people who like both a sweet and sour bite in their cocktails.
Why You’ll Love this Whiskey Sour Recipe
The standard ratio for the whiskey sour is 3:2:1 (whiskey, lemon juice, simple syrup).
We’ve stuck to that with this recipe, but added a homemade cherry syrup, in place of the usual maraschino cherry.
The standard maraschino cherries are bleached of their color, packed with sugar, and then dyed bright red. There are a lot of ‘real’ maraschino cherries available now, which we really recommend.
So, we’ve made a homemade dark, sweet cherry syrup, using just a few ingredients, that we know you’ll love.
The cherry syrup, combined with the deep amber of the whiskey sour creates a beautiful sunset medley of colors – hence the name.
- 2 cups dark sweet cherries
- 1 tablespoon cane sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 9 ounces Jack Daniels
- 6 ounces freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 ounces simple syrup
- Bring the cherries, sugar, and water to a bubble over medium heat in a saucepan. Reduce heat and let the mixture simmer for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally. Remove from heat and let cool for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile combine the Jack Daniels, lemon juice, and simple syrup in a jar and stir to combine to make the cocktail mixture.
- Add ice and 1/6th the cocktail mixture to a shaker and shake vigorously till chilled. Pour into a glass and add 2 to 3 tablespoons of cherry syrup to each cocktail. Stir gently, add a few ice cubes (if desired), and serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 173Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 8mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 1gSugar: 15gProtein: 1g