These fantastic yellow squash recipes are all wonderful ways to enjoy the fresh flavor of summer squash.
There are some ideas for side dishes, main dishes, soups, and pickles. If you're looking for some unique ways to enjoy yellow squash (also called summer squash), I've got some great ideas for you!
I know you'll enjoy these healthy yellow squash recipes and learn some new ways to cook and use squash. It's a versatile vegetable that pairs well with so many flavors.
Let me know in the comments below which one of these delicious yellow squash recipes you'll try!
The simplest of recipes - this sautéed yellow squash allows the crisp, fresh flavors of the squash to shine!
The mildly sweet, nutty flavors of the summer squash are deepened over the heat. You'll love this flavorful side dish that's ready in minutes.
This fantastic yellow squash and tomato gratin is so easy to make and is a wonderful side dish with a crispy, cheesy topping.
You can use summer squash or zucchini for this recipe, with tomatoes, bell pepper, and shallots.
These grilled Mediterranean vegetables are a perfect side dish recipe! You'll grill yellow squash, zucchini, cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, and red onions on skewers.
The veggies are char-grilled to perfection and topped with herbs, olive oil, and fresh lemon juice.
A quick and easy yellow squash soup that can be served hot or cold. This delicious soup freezes like a dream, perfect for a taste of summer in the dead of winter.
An Italian twist on the classic French provincial ratatouille recipe makes it the perfect year-round comfort meal.
This recipe nestles a combination of summer squashes and tomatoes on a lake of creamy tomato sauce. A liberal amount of pecorino cheese is doused on towards the end of baking, then it’s served with a loaf of crusty bread.
Spiralized Yellow Squash Noodles with Tomatoes, Pesto, and Parmesan is where salad meets pasta! You can feel like you’re indulging, but really just chowing down veggies.
Cheesy light yellow squash casserole! Loads of zucchini in the best lighter fare comfort food dish.
This casserole is like the perfect summer comfort food – pasta, loads of cheese, and yet still packed with seasonal goodness. And when your kids inhale it as well, you get onboard pretty quickly.
One of the best easy, Summer side dishes is grilled squash. Marinated squash is cooked to tender perfection on a grill or stove top griddle.
Pickled Squash has a fresh texture and a spicy kick. The refrigerator pickles come together in just a few minutes, with no special canning equipment needed!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 medium yellow squash, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 10 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and butter.
- Once the oil is hot and the butter is bubbling, add the yellow squash. Stir the squash to coat them in the butter and oil. Sauté for 5 minutes. Stir again and flip the squash over and cook for 4 more minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme to the pan. Stir to combine and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Remove the squash from the heat and add the chopped basil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Stir and serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 112Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 291mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 3g
When is Yellow Squash in Season?
Yellow squash, or summer squash, is at its peak from June to August, but it's regularly available in the grocery store year-round.
How to Choose the Best Summer Squash?
Here's how to choose the best summer squash at the grocery store or farmer's market.
- Size - Try to choose medium size squash. Large summer squash will likely have dry flesh, because it's grown for too long.
- Appearance - Summer squash should be bright yellow and have no visible dark marks or spots. Choose squash that are free from gashes or holes.
- Texture - The summer squash should be firm with no slimy areas or bruises.