This simple sautéed yellow squash recipe allows the crisp, fresh flavors of the squash to shine. The mildly sweet, nutty flavors of the squash are deepened over the heat.
It's topped with fresh herbs, garlic, salt, pepper, and lemon juice for maximum flavor.
This recipe is great whenever you can find summer squash, but the best time of year to enjoy it is the hot summer months when it's bountiful at grocery stores and farmer's markets.
Why You'll Love This Yellow Summer Squash Recipe
This easy side dish is ready in minutes. This is one of my favorite ways to enjoy summer squash and I'm sure you'll love it too.
You can also use this recipe to make sautéed zucchini the exact same way!
Sautéed Summer Squash Ingredients
Here's what you'll need to make this simple side dish.
Squash - You'll need 3 medium yellow squash (also called summer squash). You'll cut these into bite-sized pieces. The peak season for yellow squash is June through August.
Fat - You'll cook the squash in 1 tablespoon of olive oil (you can use extra virgin, but you don't have to) and 1 tablespoon of butter.
Seasonings - You'll season the squash with several herbs and spices, including fresh thyme, basil leaves, lemon juice, sea salt, and black pepper.
How to Make this Recipe
Prepare the Ingredients - Chop the squash, mince the garlic, chop the herbs, and squeeze the lemon juice. You'll want all your ingredients prepared before you start cooking because this recipe goes quickly.
Heat the Fat - Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and butter.
Cook the Squash - Once the oil is hot and the butter is bubbling, add the yellow squash. Stir the squash to coat them in butter and oil. Sauté for 5 minutes. Stir again and flip the squash over and cook for 4 more minutes.
Add Seasonings - Add the garlic and thyme to the pan. Stir to combine and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
Finish Before Serving - Remove the squash from the heat and add the chopped basil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Stir and serve immediately.
More Summer Squash Recipes to Try
If you love yellow squash and zucchini, try some of our other favorite recipes!
- Summer Squash Tomato Gratin - a fantastic layered gratin perfect for summer.
- Shaved Zucchini Salad Recipe - ribboned zucchini with cheese and pine nutes.
- Stuffed Squash Blossoms Recipe - a gorgeous edible flowers recipe.
- Zucchini Spaghetti (Zoodles with Marinara) - a simple dinner that's bursting with flavor.
Tips for Making this Recipe
Links on some posts are affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Cooking Tips - Yellow squash cooks quickly and can become a soggy mess when overcooked. Make sure to watch your squash closely while it's cooking. An additional minute or two of cooking can take squash from perfectly tender to overdone. If your squash starts releasing a lot of water, remove it from the heat.
Recommended Tools - I like using a large nonstick skillet for this recipe.
Storing Tips - You can save the cooked squash in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. The squash will become a little soggy when you reheat it, so consider adding it to something like risotto or pasta that would benefit from the moisture.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Connect with us on Instagram and share your photos or leave us a rating.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 medium yellow squash, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 10 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and butter.
- Once the oil is hot and the butter is bubbling, add the yellow squash. Stir the squash to coat them in the butter and oil. Sauté for 5 minutes. Stir again and flip the squash over and cook for 4 more minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme to the pan. Stir to combine and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Remove the squash from the heat and add the chopped basil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Stir and serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 112Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 291mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 3g