You are going to love this easy, healthier peanut butter cups! They’re ready in less than 15 minutes (I know, how is this even possible?) and they taste great.
This isn't the grandest recipe I’ve ever shared, but I know you guys enjoy an easy dessert recipe - as evidenced by how popular my pomegranate dark chocolate bites and fruit and nut dark chocolate bites continue to be!
What makes this recipe healthier?
I truly love a Reece’s peanut butter cup and lately I’ve really enjoyed the Justin’s dark chocolate peanut butter cups. Sometimes, especially when I’m on a road trip, I just really crave PB cups.
I’ve been trying to enjoy my desserts lately. I don’t want to feel guilty when I eat something sweet, but I don’t want to eat it mindlessly either. I’ve noticed when something is homemade, I tend to savor it more - because I know the energy that went into making it.
I kept this recipe healthier by using natural peanut butter. Peanut butter is high in good fats (and calories) and it’s a decent protein source. I only use natural peanut butter (look at the jar - is it just ground peanuts and salt? perfect!) - it tastes great and doesn’t have the sugar, palm oil, and other additives that big-name peanut butter usually does.
If you want to make this recipe even healthier, consider switching the semi-sweet chocolate chips to dark chocolate and using almond butter instead of peanut butter.
Tips for making these healthier peanut butter cups
For these peanut butter cups, it’s essential to use silicone cupcake liners/baking cups. If you try to use paper cupcake liners, the melted chocolate will turn them into a limp mess.
- 1 (12-ounce) bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 8 tablespoons natural peanut butter
- Melt half the chocolate and divide evenly between 8 silicone cupcake liners. Spread the chocolate across the bottom of the cupcake liners and slightly up the sides.
- Pop the chocolate in the cupcake liners into the freezer for 2 minutes.
- Spoon one tablespoon of peanut butter on top of the chocolate and spread across evenly.
- Pop the cups back into the freezer for another 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the rest of the chocolate.
- Divide the chocolate between the 8 cups and spread on top of the peanut butter. Using a spoon, add a little swirl to the chocolate.
- Freeze for 5 minutes before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 125Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 60mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 4g