If you haven’t heard of the viral feta eggs recipe, you’ve been missing out! But don’t worry, I created a version of the viral recipe that’s easy and delicious.
Feta eggs initially took the world by storm when recipe developer Grace Elkus shared on social media. Since then, many have enjoyed the tasty new twist on an egg recipe. And with good reason - it's incredibly flavorful and made with simple ingredients you likely have at home.
I’ve got a fantastic and easy version you’re going to love.
This feta eggs recipe takes only a few minutes to make, is made with just a handful of ingredients, and is an interesting and different way to eat eggs.
The crispy and golden feta combined with the softness of the egg, the creaminess of the avocado, and the warmness of the tortilla topped with the slightest hint of spice is the perfect combination. Full of healthy fats, protein, and fiber, you can't go wrong with this recipe.
You can enjoy feta eggs any time of day. It's a quick, hearty breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Here's what you'll need to make a delicious feta eggs recipe.
Crumbly feta cheese - I recommend using a full fat feta in brine. Fat free feta isn't quite the same flavor and doesn't melt as well. If you don't have feta, you can try goat cheese, cotija, cheddar, or play around with what you have.
Large egg - Large eggs are the perfect size for this recipe, but if you have a different size on hand, those will work, too. You'll want to be careful cracking the egg over the cheese if you would like to keep the egg yolk runny.
Tortilla - I use a corn tortilla, but your favorite small tortilla will work if you prefer something else.
Ripe avocado - Make sure your avocado is ripe but hasn't gone bad. You want to be able to smash it into your tortilla but want the perfectly ripe flavor.
Toppings - Sprinkle some red pepper flakes and a pinch of salt and black pepper. I also like to add a squeeze of lime juice. You can give it your own twist and top with anything you would like.
In a small frying pan over medium heat, sprinkle the feta cheese in a circle, leaving a little space empty in the middle. Crack the egg and pour it into the center of the feta ring.
Sprinkle the egg with a pinch of salt and pepper and the red pepper flakes.
Place a lid on the frying pan and cook the egg till it has reached your desired doneness - for a runny egg, this will be about 3 to 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the tortilla in another skillet or over a gas stove grate to toast it slightly. Remove from the heat and place it on a plate. Mash the avocado across the tortilla in a thin layer.
Place the feta egg on the tortilla and top with an optional squeeze of lime juice.
Eat your crispy feta eggs like a taco.
Additional Topping Ideas
The cheesy crust and crispy fried eggs with avocado and warm tortilla are delicious with only the listed key ingredients, but you can add more toppings to make this recipe your own. Here are some additional topping ideas:
- Pickled onions
- Chili sauce or hot sauce for some added spice
- Veggies like raw onions, green onions, baby spinach, mushrooms and cherry tomatoes
- Hot honey
- Fresh herbs
Tips for Making This Recipe
Cheese Substitutes - Feta cheese is worth trying, but you can use different cheeses based on preference and what you have on hand. A block of feta is most recommended, but crumbled feta cheese works. Cotija, mozzarella, and cheddar also work great. Most cheese will likely work, but fat free cheeses don’t taste as good or melt quite as well.
Frying Pan - A nonstick pan is recommended, but if you don’t have one, add a little olive oil to your pan before adding the cheese.
Tortilla Substitutes – The corn tortilla is tasty and my recommended tortilla, but you can use your favorite toast, flour tortillas, a wrap or pita bread. Even an English muffin or bagel (you’ll just have to be careful of the hole) will be great.
Cooking Tip - Be careful not to cook the egg and feta too long. Don't heat your pan higher than medium heat. Placing a lid on the frying pan helps when making an over easy egg or your favorite doneness with a runny yolk.
More Healthy Quick Breakfast Recipes
If you're looking for more healthy recipes that are quick and full of flavor, give one of these a try.
- Pesto Eggs - A similar idea to the 5-minute feta eggs, this recipe includes frying an egg over pesto in a hot pan and adding the pesto egg to a yummy sourdough toast with a spread of goat cheese. The flavor is next level and another must try!
- Hash Brown Avocado Toast - This recipe offers a new twist on an egg sandwich. We add hash browns to toast and top with avocado, a poached egg and some seasoning. When you slice into this toast, the runny yolk adds so much flavor to all parts of the toast.
- Grated Egg and Avocado Toast - Shred a hard boiled egg and add it on top of perfectly seasoned avocado toast. Don't like egg yolks? Skip them and only use the egg whites. You're going to love this one.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Connect with us on Instagram and share your photos, or leave us a rating.
- ¼ cup crumbly feta cheese
- 1 egg
- pinch of salt and pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 corn tortilla
- ¼ of a ripe avocado
- optional - freshly squeeze lime juice
- In a small frying pan over medium heat, sprinkle the feta cheese in a circle, leaving a little space empty in the middle. Crack the egg and pour it into the center of the feta ring.
- Sprinkle the egg with a pinch of salt and pepper and the red pepper flakes.
- Place a lid on the frying pan and cook the egg till it has reached your desired doneness - for a runny egg, this will be about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the tortilla in another skillet or over a gas stove to toast it slightly. Remove from the heat and place it on a plate. Mash the avocado across the tortilla in a thin layer.
- Place the feta egg on the tortilla and top with an optional squeeze of lime juice.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 316Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 219mgSodium: 504mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 5gSugar: 3gProtein: 14g