This grilled halloumi salad is a tasty, savory recipe! It's paired with fresh and juicy tomatoes and cucumbers for a crunchy vegetable bite.
It's topped with salty, grilled halloumi cheese. I think you'll love it!
Why You Should Make this Salad
This salad only takes about 20 minutes to make and it's well worth it. The grilled halloumi is so savory and salty that it's a flavor bomb in this fresh, bright salad.
One of the great things about most halloumi brands is that they're made with vegetarian rennet. Rennet is an animal product in some hard cheeses that makes them non-veg friendly. Halloumi is a great cheese for vegetarians to enjoy!
What is Halloumi?
Halloumi is a goat or sheep's milk cheese common in the Mediterranean. It's a sturdy cheese that's salty and good for grilling or melting, similar to mozzarella.
It's commonly used in Cypriot, Greek, and Egyptian cuisine - although it's become popular worldwide. Uncooked, it's known for having a squeaky texture.
What You'll Need to Make this Salad
You don't need much to make this recipe. The most important thing to to find quality halloumi. You'll want at least 8 ounces for this recipe.
You'll also need salad greens (I used baby greens, but any lettuce will work), a pint of cherry tomatoes, three small cucumbers, a lemon, olive oil, some fresh herbs (mint, parsley, and cilantro all work), garlic, sea salt, and pepper.
More Mediterranean Salad Recipes You’ll Love
If you like Mediterranean flavors like this recipe, check out some of our other favorite salads.
- Mediterranean Summer Salad - juicy tomatoes paired with fresh herbs
- Roasted Chickpea Salad - crunchy chickpeas paired with spring greens and fresh veggies
- The Best Fattoush Salad - our favorite chopped Middle Eastern salad paired with feta
Tips for Making this Recipe
- Make sure to get a substantial amount of olive oil on both sides of the halloumi. It will stick to the grill or grill pan if it's not properly oiled.
- Optional add-ins: Add avocados for a creamier salad. Add chickpeas if you want the salad to be more substantial.
- 8 ounces halloumi cheese, sliced into 1/4 inch slabs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 small cucumbers, sliced into coins
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 ounces baby greens mix
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat or heat a grill to medium heat.
- Brush the halloumi slices with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, coating both sides of the cheese.
- Place the halloumi on the grill pan or grill and cook on each side for 2 to 3 minutes or until grill lines form and the cheese is melting.
- Toss the sliced cucumbers, halved tomatoes, greens, and mint together. Spread them across a large, low bowl or large plate.
- Mix the remaining olive oil, lemon juice, sea salt, and pepper together. Drizzle across the salad.
- When the halloumi is done cooking, add it to the salad and serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 273Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 896mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 15g