Here's the easiest way to peel a pomegranate, that's not in water and that doesn't break the pomegranate seeds.
Best Way to Peel a Pomegranate
Peeling a pomegranate quickly and easily can be done in 4 steps.
- 1 pomegranate
- small paring knife
- Cut through the skin in a circular pattern around the top of the pomegranate. This will create a little lid on top of the pomegranate. Pull the lid off the pomegranate.
- Cut shallow vertical lines along the pomegranate sections (the white lines of pith inside the pomegranate) from the top to the base.
- Carefully pull apart the sections of the pomegranate till it separates. Remove the middle section of the pith.
- Pull the seeds off the membrane.
There are many wonderful recipes with pomegranate. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Pomegranate Margarita Recipe
- Pomegranate Dark Chocolate Bites
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate
How to Choose the Best Pomegranates
The freshest pomegranates have a bright red or dark red color. Lighter colored pomegranates have been picked too early and will likely be sour.
The skin should be smooth and the pomegranate should not have any squishy sections. If it's clearly bruised, don't buy it.
When are Pomegranates in Season
Pomegranates are in season from the end of September to November. It's a short season, but pomegranates keep well and are often available all winter.