This fantastic chopped savoy cabbage salad is bursting with flavor!
The variety of flavors in this salad is fabulous! The ginger dressing is the perfect complement to the subtle veggie flavors. The crispy nuts round out the dish for a crunchy bite.
You can serve this great salad as a main course or a side dish.
Why You'll Love This Chopped Cabbage Salad
This recipe is a great way to use savoy cabbage. Savoy is a delicious, crispy cabbage that stands up incredibly well in a chopped salad.
You'll love the combination of flavors and textures in this dish. It's truly a unique salad worth trying - you may have just found your new favorite salad.
This easy salad recipe takes a little bit to assemble, but if you enjoy chopping veggies - then you'll find this a relaxing recipe to make.
What is Savoy Cabbage
Savoy cabbage (also called King Savoy and Winter King) is a type of cabbage with dark, crinkly outer leaves and a lighter interior. The leaves are both crunchy and tender.
It's similar in texture to napa cabbage (also called Chinese cabbage) - savoy cabbage is circular-shaped and napa is oblong and slightly lighter in color.
This recipe calls for raw savoy cabbage - while the whole cabbage can be eaten raw, the dark green outer leaves do taste better cooked.
If you want a recipe for the outer leaves of the savoy cabbage - try our savoy cabbage chips. They're crispy, delicious, and healthy!
Here's what you'll need to make this fabulous savoy cabbage recipe.
- Savoy cabbage
- English cucumber
- Red bell pepper
- Green onions
- Slivered almonds
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Rice wine vinegar
- Fresh ginger
- Soy sauce
- Lime juice
- Garlic cloves
- Dijon mustard
See the recipe card for quantities.
Slice the savoy cabbage into thin ribbons and prepare the rest of the ingredients.
Place the sliced cabbage, diced cucumber, grated carrot, diced red peppers, and sliced green onions in a large mixing bowl. Toss to combine.
Heat a small skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the slivered almonds and chopped cashews. Toast for 1 minute until golden toss, tossing occasionally.
Add the toasted nuts to the salad.
In a medium bowl, combine the olive oil, rice wine vinegar, grated ginger, soy sauce, lime juice, grated garlic, and Dijon mustard. Whisk till fully combined.
Pour the dressing over the salad and toss till combined.
Serve the salad immediately or save it in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
More Fantastic Cabbage Recipes
- Green Goddess Cabbage Salad - a wonderful combination of finely diced regular green cabbage, green onions, cucumbers, chives, and a creamy dressing.
- Roasted Red Cabbage - our favorite way to eat red cabbages - roasting it really brings out the flavor but also adds some great crunchy bits.
- Savoy Cabbage Slaw - combines fresh, crunchy savoy cabbage with corn, peas, and a creamy, healthy ranch dressing for a quick, simple, flavorful side salad
Substitutions & Variations
Try some of these other variations and additional ideas.
- Citrus - substitute the lime for fresh lemon juice, lemon zest, or orange juice.
- Onions - add some chopped red onion or shallots, in addition to the green onions for an allium kick!
- Vinegar - if you don't have rice wine vinegar, you can substitute it for white wine vinegar or red wine vinegar.
- Cheese - add some parmesan cheese or crumbly feta for a little creaminess.
You can save this chopped salad in the refrigerator for up to 4 days in an airtight container.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Connect with us on Instagram and share your photos or leave us a rating.
Savoy Cabbage Salad
This tangy savoy cabbage salad is loaded with delicious ingredients. It's the perfect chopped salad - serve it as a side or main.
- Center of 1 head of Savoy cabbage, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 large English cucumber, diced
- 2 medium carrots, grated or thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 5 green onions, sliced
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- ⅓ cup roughly chopped cashews
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 clove of garlic, grated
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- Place the sliced cabbage, diced cucumber, grated carrot, diced bell pepper, and sliced green onions in a large mixing bowl. Toss to combine.
- Heat a small skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the slivered almonds and chopped cashews. Toast for 1 minute until golden toss, tossing occasionally.
- Add the toasted nuts to the salad.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, rice wine vinegar, grated ginger, soy sauce, lime juice, grated garlic, and dijon mustard. Whisk till fully combined.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss till combined.
- Serve the salad immediately or save it in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 187Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 382mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 5g