This is one of the best (and easiest) salad dressings! It's a wholegrain mustard dressing that pairs incredibly well with green salads, roasted veggies, and fish.
It's ready in just a few minutes and it's got so much flavor. You can make it in advance and store it in the refrigerator for up to a week or whip up a batch and immediately use it on a salad.
Why You'll Love This Easy Dressing
This recipe is a standout for two reasons - the grainy mustard and the red wine vinegar. Anytime you make a dressing, you want a balance of rich flavor offset but some tanginess.
The mustard is slightly bitter and spicy (in a good way!) while the vinegar is vibrant and robust. Paired with a really good extra virgin olive oil, and you've got a winning combination!
Ingredients You'll Need
- Olive Oil - this is when you bring out the good stuff. When you're using it in a fresh salad you want to use the best olive oil you have!
- Red Wine Vinegar - punchier and more vibrant that balsamic, this vinegar is an essential.
- Wholegrain Mustard - the grainier texture let's the mustard shine. It's got a spicier bite to it.
- Sea Salt - feel free to use ground sea salt or flaky - it's going to dissolve in the dressing, so use whatever you have.
- Black Pepper - if possible, use freshly ground black peppercorns.
Salads You Can Use this Dressing On
This dressing recipe is one of our all-time favorites. We've used it on several of our salad recipes!
- The Easiest Green Salad - a simple but flavorful salad that's the perfect easy side dish.
- Asian Pear Salad - a gorgeous salad with pears, grapes, bitter greens, and blue cheese.
- The Best Green Salad Recipe - soft lettuce topped with crispy panko, cheese, and red spring onions.
Tips for Making this Recipe
Links on some posts are affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Specialty Ingredients - I highly recommend using Maille, Old Style mustard for this recipe.
Storing Tips - Store this dressing in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Connect with us on Instagram and share your photos or leave us a rating.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, wholegrain mustard, salt, pepper, and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Use immediately or store for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.