This delicious crispy baked cod recipe with parmesan and panko is the best way to make cod! It's easy to pull together and results in the tenderest, most flavorful cod.
Cod is a fantastic white fish that is mild and buttery. It's a great fish to serve as the savory and subtle flavors will win over the whole family.
The mixture of the mellow parmesan and crunchy panko will crisp up to golden brown perfection.
Why You'll Love This Parmesan Crusted Cod
This panko parmesan baked cod is fantastic! Cod is a flaky fish that tastes great when cooked till tender and served straight from the oven.
You probably are most familiar with cod from fish sticks or fish frys. It's a well-loved, mild tasting fish that benefits from a crispy coating.
This fish recipe is great for a date night or a family weeknight meal.
Crispy Baked Cod Ingredients
Cod - You'll need 2 pounds of skinless, fresh cod fillets.
Seasonings - You'll use 1 teaspoon kosher salt, ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon onion powder, and ½ teaspoon dried thyme.
Panko - You'll need 1 cup of panko bread crumbs.
Parmesan - You'll use ⅓ cup of grated parmesan cheese.
Butter - You'll need ¼ cup of melted butter.
Optional - You can use several slices of lemon to squeeze for lemon juice or lemon zest and chopped parsley for serving.
How to Make this Recipe
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
Lay the haddock on a cutting board or clean surface and pat dry with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper.
Combine the panko, parmesan, garlic powder, onion powder, and thyme in a small bowl.
Brush the melted butter on both sides of the fish.
Sprinkle both sides of the fillets with the panko breadcrumb mixture.
Place the fish on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
Bake for 8 to 12 minutes until the crust is golden and fish is cooked through and the fish flakes apart. The fish should reach an internal temperature of 145 degrees on an instant-read thermometer.
Serve immediately with optional slices of lemon for squeezing and chopped parsley for garnish.
More Delicious Fish Recipes to Try
If you love easy fish recipes, you'll want to try some of these!
- Grilled Red Snapper - a fantastic, lightly spicy snapper recipe.
- Grilled Cod in Foil - another delicious way to enjoy cod fish fillets.
- Baked Sockeye Salmon in Foil - a tender lemon butter salmon recipe.
- Blackened Tilapia - a zingy recipe for another tender and flaky white fish.
What to Serve with Cod
Looking for a great side dish for this flaky white dish? Try one of these dishes to make a complete, healthy meal.
- Asian Style Green Beans - these fantastic tangy green beans are so easy to make!
- Sautéed Yellow Squash - these easy sauteed yellow squash are ready in just a few minutes.
- Roasted Parmesan Green Beans - make some crispy roasted green beans.
- Tatsoi Salad - this delicious green salad with carrots is a perfect light accompaniment to white fish.
- Baked Curly Fries Recipe - not much is better with cod than some french fries, so why not take it up a notch with some delicious curly fries!
- Easy Homemade Tartar Sauce Recipe - serve this as a dipping sauce.
Tips for Making this Recipe
Links on some posts are affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Cooking Tips - For the best results, keep an eye on your fish for the last 2 to 3 minutes of cook time. If the fish starts to split apart it's probably done. If the top doesn't turn golden brown, you can always turn the broiler on for 30 seconds to 1 minute (make sure not to burn the top of the fish though!)
Specialty Ingredients - Cod should be available at your local grocery store. It may come frozen. You can defrost it in the refrigerator for 24 to 48 hours. In general, fish should only be kept in the refrigerator for 3 days before cooking it.
Recommended Tools - I highly recommend lining your sheet pan with parchment paper - this will keep the fish from sticking to the sheet pan and make clean up easier.
Storing Tips - You can save the cooked fish for up to 3 days in the refrigerator in an airtight container. I highly recommend reheating it in the oven as this will help the breaded exterior crisp up again.
Substitutions - You can use regular breadcrumbs in place of panko breadcrumbs, but your fish with have a slightly different texture. It's hard to get regular breadcrumbs to crisp to the same level. You may also need about a ¼ cup less of regular breadcrumbs since they're smaller and will more easily cover the fish.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Connect with us on Instagram and share your photos or leave us a rating on the recipe card.
Parmesan Panko Baked Cod Recipe
This delicious baked cod recipe with parmesan and panko is the perfect baked crispy fish recipe! It's easy to make and tastes great.
- 2 pounds cod fillets
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- ⅓ cup grated parmesan
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ cup melted butter
- optional - slices of lemon, chopped parsley for serving
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Lay the cod fillets on a cutting board or clean surface and pat dry. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine the panko, parmesan, garlic powder, onion powder, and thyme in a small bowl.
- Brush the melted butter on both sides of the fish.
- Sprinkle both sides of the fillets with the panko mixture.
- Place the fish on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Bake for 8 to 12 minutes until the crust is golden and the fish is cooked through (and has reached a temperature of 145 degrees on an instant-read thermometer)
- Serve immediately with optional slices of lemon for squeezing and chopped parsley for garnish.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 324Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 108mgSodium: 620mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 39g
Wednesday 31st of August 2022
Delicious recipe for most any white fish. Served this with creamed frozen spinach w onions and garlic, and baked melted tomatoes, which can be prepared ahead and resting. A relatively easy gourmet dinner for guests. Add fresh lemon thyme, basil and parsley from your garden and a starch of your choice. Thanks for this recipe!
Wednesday 31st of August 2022
So glad you liked it!