This delicious baked perch recipe has the best mustard spice blend topping. You'll bake this fish till tender and juicy.
Ocean perch has a lovely mild flavor and firm flesh. It's high in protein and low in fat. It tastes similar to cod and tilapia but has a slightly sweeter flavor and is moister.
This is an ocean perch recipe, but can also be made with lake perch. Freshwater and saltwater perch have a similar name but aren't particularly similar in taste. Ocean perch have a stronger, briny flavor and lake perch have a more delicate flavor.
Lake perch are often used in fish sticks because they have a mild flavor.
Here's what you'll need to make this ocean perch fish recipe.
- Ocean Perch Fillets
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt
- Dried Mustard
- Smoked Paprika
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Ground Black Pepper
Optional for topping - chopped fresh parsley, cilantro, lemon wedges, or a squeeze of lemon juice.
See the recipe card for quantities.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Pat fish fillets dry with paper towels.
Place fillets on a parchment lined baking sheet or a greased baking dish.
Combine the salt, mustard, paprika, black pepper, and red pepper flakes in a bowl. Stir to mix.
Brush the tops of the fillets with the oil.
Sprinkle the seasoning over the fish. Rub the seasoning into the fish gently with your fingers.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until fish reaches an internal temperature of 145 degrees F on an instant read thermometer and the fish flakes apart easily with a fork.
Serve with optional chopped fresh herbs or sliced green onions.
More Great Fish Recipes
If you love easy fish recipes, try some of these favorites.
- Baked Parmesan Panko Cod Recipe - a delicious cod recipe with a crispy crust of panko breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, and herbs.
- Lemon Baked Swordfish - a delicious swordfish recipe with lemons and shallots.
- Lemon Garlic Sole Recipe - ready in just a couple of minutes, this tender sole recipe is ridiculously easy to make!
Substitutions & Variations
Here are some optional changes you can make to this recipe.
- Spices - feel free to add additional spices to the blend if you'd like - garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, and chili powder will all work well.
- Oil - you can swap the olive oil for avocado oil or even melted butter.
What to Serve with Perch
Here are some delicious side dishes to pair with perch. I highly recommend pairing it with a dry white wine as well!
- Sautéed Zucchini - the easiest zucchini recipe with garlic and herbs
- Oven Roasted Root Vegetables - a fantastic medley of root vegetables roasted to perfection.
- Roasted Radishes - the best way to enjoy radishes.
- Spring Mix Salad - a simple salad with a container of spring mix, tomatoes, feta, and toasted nuts.
This recipe will keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator when stored in an airtight container.
Tips for Making this Recipe
Cooking Tips - Use an instant-read thermometer to make sure the fish is cooked through. It should reach an internal temperature of 145 degrees F.
Alternate Cooking Methods - You can make this as pan-fried ocean perch fillets as well. Prepare the spice blend and fish as listed above, but heat an additional tablespoon of olive oil in a large frying pan. Cook the fish on both sides for 3 to 5 minutes or until it flakes apart and is cooked through.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Connect with us on Instagram and share your photos or leave us a rating.
Baked Perch Recipe
This tender, baked ocean perch recipe has the most flavorful spice rub. It's easy to make and ready in less than 30 minutes!
- 1 ½ pounds ocean perch fillets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pat the fish dry with paper towels.
- Place fillets on a parchment-lined baking sheet or a greased baking dish.
- Brush the tops of the fillets with the oil.
- Combine the salt, mustard, paprika, black pepper, and red pepper flakes in a bowl. Stir to mix.
- Sprinkle the seasoning over the fish. Rub the seasoning into the fish gently with your fingers.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until fish reaches an internal temperature of 145 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer and flakes apart easily with a fork.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 191Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 1253mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 22g