This delicious green salad is made with tatsoi, shaved cucumber, and sliced radishes. It’s topped with hemp hearts, furikake, and a zesty sesame soy ginger dressing.
Tatsoi is an Asian green that also goes by the names Spoon Mustard, Broadbeak Mustard, Rosette Bok Choy, Spinach Mustard, Tat Soy, Chinese Flat Cabbage, Wu Ta Cai, and Tasai. It's similar to bok choy and has the same crisp taste, but is slightly more bitter.
Tatsoi is similar in texture to spinach and can be used in the same ways - wilted and served as a side, used in stir fry dishes, added to soups, or eaten raw in a salad.
Why You'll Love This Easy Salad
This easy, Asian greens salad is crispy and fresh. It's easy to make and is a perfect side salad!
The tatsoi has a flavor that's a cross between bok choy, spinach, and mustard greens. It's one of my new favorite greens because of this subtle and complex flavor.
The salad is topped with a sesame soy ginger dressing that's sharp, salty, and nutty - it perfectly complements the greens and veggies.
Ingredients You'll Need
Tatsoi - You'll need 6 ounces of tatsoi greens. Try to find smaller, younger greens that are softer - they'll be perfect in this salad.
Cucumber - You'll need 1 English cucumber (or 3 small, Persian cucumbers) for this salad.
Radish - You'll need 5 small or 3 large red radishes (or about 1 ounce of radishes).
Hemp Hearts - You'll need 2 tablespoons of hemp hearts. These are shelled hemp seeds - they're incredibly nutritious, a good source of protein, and add a little heft to the salad.
Furikake Seasoning - You'll use 2 teaspoons of furikake seasoning. This Japanese rice seasoning blend will add a little savory, salty flavor and some nuttiness.
Dressing - You'll need 1 tablespoon of canola oil (or other neutral oil), 3 teaspoons sesame oil, 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon of granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon soy sauce, and 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger.
Where to Get Tatsoi
You're most likely to find tatsoi in a specialty produce grocery store, an Asian market, or at the farmer's market.
You can also find greens like this online from Specialty Produce, an online farmer's market.
More Simple Salad Recipes to Try
If you like the fresh flavors of this recipe, check out some of our other favorite salads.
- All the Radishes Salad - the most beautiful salad with five kinds of radish.
- The Easiest Green Salad - a simple salad with an absolutely delicious dressing.
- Radish and Cucumber Salad - The crunchiest salad full of fresh flavors.
Tips for Making this Recipe
Links on some posts are affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recommended Tools - You'll need a vegetable peeler if you want to ribbon your cucumber (I have this Rosle one which I love). If you don't have one, you can slice the cucumber into half-moons like the radish, but they are fun to peel into strips!
Storing Tips - This salad is best served fresh as the cucumber releases water over time. However, you can store it in the refrigerator for up to three days.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Connect with us on Instagram and share your photos or leave us a rating.
- 6 ounces tatsoi greens, roughly chopped
- 1 English cucumber, halved and ribboned (center seeds discarded)
- 3 large (or 5 small) red radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons hemp hearts
- 2 teaspoons furikake seasoning
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Add the chopped tatsoi, slivered cucumber, and radishes to a large serving dish. Top with the hemp hearts and furikake. Toss to combine.
- Whisk together the canola oil, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, and ginger in a small bowl. Pour it over the salad and toss again to combine.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 120Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 115mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 3g