This delicious grilled cod in foil is topped with a lemon butter sauce that pairs perfectly with the mild flavor of the cod.
This great recipe is an easy method for cooking the perfect cod. Cod is a type of fish that even people nervous about fish will like.
I hope your family will enjoy this easy lemon butter cod as much as we do!
Why You'll Love Grilled Cod in Foil
If you are an avid fish lover or not even a huge fan of fish - this is a fish recipe you've got to try! Cod is an easy fish to like, because of its mild flavor and tender flesh.
It's not an overwhelmingly fishy fish. It's tender, sweet, and has an almost milky flavor. It pairs well with loads of flavors, especially the delicious butter sauce we've used in this recipe.
You can serve the grilled cod with a simple roasted vegetable side dish, use it in fish tacos, or add it to a pasta or rice dish.
Grilled Cod Ingredients
Cod - You'll need 1 pound of cod. These can be in 3 to 4 fillets or one large piece. If you're using smaller 4 to 6-ounce fillets, check them after 8 minutes on the grill as they'll cook more quickly than a larger piece.
Herbs - You'll need at least 12 sprigs of fresh thyme. This will be placed under the fish while cooking. You can substitute this for tarragon or parsley if you'd prefer. You may also want a few extra sprigs of fresh herbs to sprinkle on the fish after it comes off the grill.
S & P - You'll use 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper to sprinkle on the fish before cooking it.
Butter Sauce - You'll need 2 tablespoons of melted butter, 1 tablespoon of finely diced shallots, and 2 cloves of finely minced garlic to make the butter sauce.
Lemon - You'll slice 1 lemon into thin, round slices. These will be placed on top of the fish before grilling.
Aluminum Foil - You'll need to use pieces of heavy aluminum foil to wrap the fish. If the aluminum foil you have tears easily, use two pieces.
How to Make Cod on the Grill
Start Your Grill - Heat an outdoor grill to medium-high heat (365 degrees F).
Measure foil - Tear off a large piece of foil. There should be one piece of aluminum foil for every cod fillet (I had one large piece of fish, but you can make this recipe with smaller fillets).
Place the fish - Place several sprigs of fresh herbs on each piece of aluminum foil and then place the cod fillets on top of the herbs. Sprinkle the salt and pepper across the cod fillets.
The herbs and cod should be placed so they will be in the center of the packet.
Make the butter sauce - Melt butter and combine with diced shallot, and minced garlic in a small bowl. Pour mixture across the fillets. Place several lemon slices across the top of the cod.
Grill the fish - Close the foil packets around the fish - fold foil towards the center and crimp edges of foil to seal packets. Reduce the grill to medium heat. Place the cod foil packets on the hot grill rack, if possible not directly above any flames. The fish will cook best with indirect heat - so place it to the side of the flame. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until the fish flakes apart.
The fish will be cooked when internal temperature of cod reaches 145 degrees F.
Serve - Remove the packets from the grill and place the cod on plates. Top with additional fresh herbs if desired and serve immediately.
More Seafood Recipes to Try
If you like fish and seafood, check out some of our other favorite seafood recipes.
- Thai Fish Curry - the creamiest fish curry with loads of vegetables and white fish.
- Grilled Red Snapper - a lightly spicy red snapper recipe topped with cajun seasoning.
- Baked Sockeye Salmon in Foil - tender baked salmon with lemon butter.
- Coconut Crusted Tilapia - a fantastic crispy crusted tilapia that will be your new favorite.
- Baked Parmesan Panko Cod Recipe - another fantastic way to enjoy cod fish fillets.
What to Serve with Grilled Cod
Want an easy side dish to serve alongside this lemony cod recipe? Try one of these pairings.
- The Easiest Green Salad - a simple side salad that's quick to pull together but absolutely bursting with flavor.
- Asian Style Green Beans - a zesty green bean recipe that's so easy to make.
- Mediterranean Grilled Vegetables - easy grilled vegetables topped with a bevy of herbs and spices.
- Roasted Parmesan Green Beans - the crispiest and most delicious green beans!
Tips for Making this Recipe
Links on some posts are affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Cooking Tips - If you are using 4 to 6-ounce cod fillets, grill them for 8 minutes and then check the temperature. Larger pieces of cod will likely need the full 10 minutes of grill time.
Storing Tips - The cooked cod will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
Alternate Cooking Methods - If you don't have an outdoor grill to use for this recipe, you can bake the cod (in the foil packets) in the oven at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes. Check the temperature (fish should be 145 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer). Continue to bake till cod is fully cooked and flakes apart.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Connect with us on Instagram, share your photos, or leave us a rating.
- 12 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 pound cod fillets
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons finely diced shallot
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- optional - additional chopped fresh herbs for serving (like parsley, tarragon, or thyme)
- Heat a grill to medium-high heat (365 degrees F).
- Tear off several large squares of aluminum foil. There should be one for every cod fillet.
- Place several sprigs of fresh herbs on each piece of aluminum foil and then place the cod fillets on top of the herbs.
- Sprinkle the salt and pepper across the cod fillets.
- Combine the melted butter, diced shallot, and minced garlic in a small bowl. Brush the mixture across the fillets.
- Place several lemon slices across the top of each fillet.
- Close the foil packets around the fish, crimping the foil so it creates a closed packet.
- Reduce the grill heat to medium. Place the foil packets on the grill (not directly on top of a flame, indirect heat works best) and grill for 8 to 10 minutes or until the fish flakes apart. Fish should reach an internal temperature of 145 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer.
- Remove the packets from the grill and place the cod on plates. Top with additional fresh herbs if desired and serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 369Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 155mgSodium: 586mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 53g