This healthy, grilled baby bok choy is an easy recipe for a delicious side dish. It has a zesty, savory Asian sauce with a little chili kick. The best part is, it’s ready in less than 15 minutes!
What’s Baby Bok Choy?
Bok choy, also called pok choi and pak choi, is a type of Chinese cabbage. Baby bok choy is essentially the same plant, but just smaller with more tender, lighter green leaves. Usually, they can be used interchangeably in a recipe, but the bok choy will need longer to cook. I personally prefer cooking with baby bok choy because they cook quickly and have a more delicate, sweet flavor. Full-size bok choy tends to have a slightly bitter, mustardy flavor.
Baby bok choy is low in calories, nutrient-dense, high in fiber, and rich in vitamins A and C.
Tips for Making Grilled Baby Bok Choy
- Make sure to thoroughly wash your bok choy – it can be gritty otherwise.
- It’s easier to grill baby bok choy in a grill pan, instead of straight on a grill (this is the grill I have). If you use a ceramic grill pan, the tender leaves won’t get stuck as easily. If you don’t want to use a grill pan, make sure to oil the grill grates lightly.
- The bok choy leaves will cook faster than the stem and that’s okay. The leaves will get a little crispy, but they taste great!
- The cooked bok choy will keep for two days in the fridge but honestly, it’s so much better fresh that I don’t really recommend making it too far in advance.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 6 to 8 heads of baby bok choy, cut in half
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat until it's very hot.
- Brush the teaspoon of canola oil across the grill pan.
- Lay the baby bok choy cut side down on the grill pan and flip after 1 to 2 minutes (or whenever grill lines have formed). Cook for another 1 to 2 minutes, or until boy choy is wilted.
- Meanwhile, combine the rice vinegar, chili oil, sesame oil, and soy sauce in a large bowl and stir vigorously to combine.
- Add the bok choy to the bowl with the sauce and toss to combine.
- Plate and serve immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 158Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 467mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 2g