This delicious recipe for tabouli salad (also called tabbouleh and tabbouli) is heavy on fresh herbs and tomatoes. It's a healthy Mediterranean recipe that's naturally vegan.
It's a Middle Eastern recipe that's originally from the Levant region (Syrian, Jordan, Lebanon, Palestine, etc).
This tabouli recipe is an authentic take on Lebanese and Syrian tabouli which prioritizes a large amount of parsley and a smaller amount of bulgur. I've increased the number of tomatoes slightly because I love their fresh flavor.
Tabouli is a staple salad in the Middle East and is often served as part of a mezze platter or as a side salad. It's an easy recipe to make and pairs with so many types of dishes!
Why You'll Love this Tabouli Salad
Tabouli is fresh and flavorful. It's got a herby base and is livened up with plenty of fresh lemon juice and Roma tomatoes. The bulgur adds a hearty component, so it's a nice, filling salad.
You can eat it for lunch with hummus and pita bread or serve it alongside chicken for dinner. Tabouli saves well in the refrigerator for a few days, so you can make it in advance or use it as a meal prep recipe.
This recipe serves four to six as a side salad, but can easily be scaled up or down.
Ingredients You'll Need
Here's what you'll need to make this delicious salad recipe.
Parsley - You'll need 2 bunches of fresh parsley (or 2 cups of finely chopped parsley). Rinse them, dry them, and then chop the ends off. Then chop them to a fine dice. Use Italian parsley, not curly parsley.
Roma Tomatoes - You'll need 4 Roma (or plum) tomatoes. They are easier to chop than regular tomatoes because they're firmer and have fewer seeds.
Bulgur - You'll use 3 ounces of fine bulgur. It's a cereal grain that's made from parboiled oats.
Mint - You'll use ½ cup of mint leaves (stems removed). Dice them till they are the same size as the parsley.
Shallots - You'll use 2 shallots. These will be finely diced as well.
Dressing - To dress the salad, you'll use ½ cup of good olive oil and 3 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice (one to two lemons worth).
Spices - Finally, you'll use 1 teaspoon of ground allspice, 1 teaspoon of sea salt, and ½ teaspoon of ground black pepper.
More Mediterranean Recipes to Try
Love these fresh flavor combinations? Check out some of our other favorite Mediterranean and Middle Eastern recipes.
- Mediterranean Summer Salad - a bright and fresh tomato salad with herbs
- The Best Fattoush Salad Recipe - a tomato, cucumber, and radish salad with crusty bread
- Ful Medames (Egyptian Fava Beans) - a delicious fava bean dish that can be eaten as a dip with pita bread.
- Chopped Middle Eastern Salad - a basic tomato, cucumber, and pomegranate salad that's full of flavor and a great side salad
Tips for Making this Recipe
Storing Tips - This salad can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Alternate Methods - If you'd like to cut down on the chopping time, you can use a food processor to blitz the parsley and mint.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Connect with us on Instagram and share your photos or leave us a rating.
- 3 ounces fine bulgur wheat
- 4 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups finely chopped parsley (about 2 bunches, stems removed)
- ½ cup finely chopped mint leaves (stems removed)
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Put the bulgur in a small bowl and cover with water. Allow it to soak while you cut the tomatoes and herbs.
- Drain the bulgur in a fine sieve and then rinse in. Shake off excess water and then place it in a large bowl.
- Add the tomatoes, shallots, parsley, and mint to the bowl.
- Combine the olive oil, lemon juice, allspice, salt, and pepper in a small bowl and whisk. Then pour on top of the herb mixture and stir to combine.
- Taste to make sure it has enough salt and pepper and then serve immediately or save in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 299Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 557mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 3g