All you need is for these fun, festive fruit sparklers is watermelon, blueberries, a few wooden skewers, a star-shaped cookie cutter, and a knife.
They are an adorable, healthy 4th of July recipe! These are fun for kids and adults and they are super easy to make with a group of people or prep in advance of a party.
Healthy Fourth of July Recipes
Looking for other healthy 4th of July recipes? Here are some of my favorites!
- Grilled Corn Salad with Avocado
- Watermelon Blueberry Salad with Feta
- Summer Berry and Lemon Cookie Pizza
- Grilled Peach and Tomato Salad
- Cantaloupe Cucumber Salad Recipe
Tips for Making These Watermelon Blueberry Skewers
- Choosing the best watermelon: make sure to get a melon that is heavy for its size, has a yellow-ish circle on it (meaning it ripened in the field), and makes a hollow sound when thumped (under-ripe melons sound duller).
- Make sure to use a very stable cutting board while you cut your watermelon into ‘plates’. If your cutting board is slipping around, put a dishcloth under it.
- While I usually use a full-size watermelon for this recipe (they’re cheaper!), if you are making this recipe with kids, it might be fun to get them each their own small melon.
- This recipe works best with seedless watermelons.
- It’s easy to add other fruit to these skewers as well! Pineapple and melon both make great stars too.
- 1 medium to large watermelon
- 3 cups blueberries
- wooden skewers
- Cut watermelon into plates about 1/2 thick.
- Using a star cookie cutter, cut out star shapes from watermelon.
- Assemble sparklers with 8 to 10 blueberries and one watermelon star on each wooden skewer.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 23Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 0g