You've got to try the TikTok watermelon with mustard trend! While it's an unusual flavor combination, it's surprisingly good. The tangy mustard pairs perfectly with a juicy and sweet watermelon.
While you can obviously just put yellow mustard on your watermelon, I decided to make a more interesting mustard sauce. It's a blend of sweet and savory that really hits the spot.
Why You'll Love Watermelon with Mustard Sauce
If you like a salty-sweet combo, then this recipe is for you! While it might sound a bit odd, it makes sense that it would pair together well. It's a little like relish and mustard together.
This unusual combination was shared by @yayayayummy on TikTok and it's been viewed over 2 million times. Loads of people have tried the combination and love it. You can find loads of great takes if you search on TikTok for "watermelon mustard challenge".
Ingredients You'll Need
To make this easy snack, you'll need one very ripe watermelon, two tablespoons of stoneground (or yellow) mustard, one tablespoon of honey, half a tablespoon of freshly squeezed lime juice, and one teaspoon of tajin seasoning.
You'll briskly whisk together the mustard, honey, lime juice, and tajin and then drizzle it over the slices of watermelon. Serve immediately and enjoy!
How to Choose a Ripe Watermelon
This recipe tastes best with a ripe and juicy watermelon. Here's how to find the best one.
- A rounder watermelon will be sweeter.
- Watermelon should be heavy for its size. If it's not heavy it won't be juicy.
- Watermelon with a white field spot on it will be tasteless. Look for ones with a creamy or light orange spot. This means it's ripened in the field.
- Watermelon with lots of webbing on it signifies sweetness. A small amount of webbing means it will be bland.
- If it has a stem, it should be brown and dried. If the stem is green, it was picked too early.
- Watermelon should be a duller and darker green. Shiny watermelon or light green watermelon are not ripe.
More Watermelon Recipes to Try
Love watermelon? We do too! Check out some of our other favorite recipes.
- Watermelon Poke Bowl (Vegan) - a non-traditional take on the poke bowl with marinated watermelon, mango, and edamame.
- Watermelon Olive Salad - another salty and sweet watermelon recipe.
- Watermelon Mozzarella Salad - watermelon and mozzarella stacks topped with fresh herbs.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Connect with us on Instagram and share your photos or leave us a rating.
- 1 ripe watermelon
- 2 tablespoons stoneground mustard*
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon tajin seasoning
- Cut the watermelon into triangular slices.
- Combine the mustard, honey, lime juice, and tajin seasoning in a small bowl and briskly whisk to combine.
- Drizzle the mustard sauce over the watermelon slices and serve.
*You can also use yellow mustard.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 18Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 109mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 4gProtein: 0g